#21 2006-08-04 13:16

den4b
Administrator

Re: Useful programs

I still can't download your code using that ftp link. Tried with Opera, Internet Explorer and SmartFTP Client, from 2 different computers/networks. You host doesn't reply at all. Can you mail that code to me?

I have loads of work these days, so it will take some time before I look at it...

#22 2006-08-04 15:38

dloneranger

posted it to you there's not much in the way of code just a couple of lines in a few event handlers, but it displays fine on the xp machies I've checked it on

#23 2006-08-04 16:06

den4b
Administrator

I think it is the FLAT property of TSpeedButton that causes this behavior. In your example Flat=false, thats why you see these horrible borders around every button, when running without manifest OR on non-themed platforms. I use Flat=true, which makes all TSpeedButtons flat (without any border). And I also set Transparent=false.

#24 2006-08-04 17:28

dloneranger

I've tried all combinations of flat and transparent set to true or false and it's still fine

Main thing that's different is I just went TControlBar->TCoolBar->Speedbuttons
(No bands on the coolbar and no TToolBar)
I think you've got a TToolbar in there as well from what I can tell by examining renamer in XM Resource Editor
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

But even going TControlBar->TToolbar->Speedbuttons works fine here unless it is flat and transparent are both true (on the speedbuttons)

I'd dump the TToolbar as you can get the effect you want by using TCoolBar instead big_smile
I knew there was something flakey about TToolBar, but couldn't remember what it was mad

ps the code for resizing of the speedbutons that is in my code is just a quick hack and is a bit flickery tongue

Last edited by dloneranger (2006-08-04 17:35)

#25 2006-08-04 18:07

dloneranger

pps

Editing the resources for renamer and setting flat and transparent to any value apart from both being true makes the speedbuttons paint correctly, but leaves a small bit of garbage around the edged of the buttons

#26 2006-08-08 16:00

den4b
Administrator

I played with TCoolBar for a while, and you were right - I did get the desired effect. What is the difference between TToolBar and TCoolBar? I searched the net, but didn't find anything. The only thing I found is that most of examples have TToolBar within the TCoolBar hmm

Now, there is also a problem with TStaticText! I think this is a well known bug in Delphi, and I don't think they have fixed it even in the newer versions. The "Drag you files here" and "Click here to add rule" texts displayed incorrectly when running with manifest on themed platform. As you probably noticed, they become small, black, and with a different font.

I can't replace them with TLabels, because TLabels don't get on top of the table, they are always displayed at the back, no matter what I try (occurs only on design time).

#27 2006-08-08 19:25

dloneranger

you could use a panel for the 'drag your files here' (no border, no bevel, toggle parent background from false to true and back to false, set the color to clWindow)
then just make the panel visible invisible at will

i know there's an issue with some fonts when you're manifested - i seem to recall it's due to the windows font smoothing or cleartype hmm
i'm just guessing here - i usually stick with the standard windows fonts (ms san serif, verdana, tahoma etc) and they normally look ok

[edit]  as far as I can make out, ttoolbar is a wrapper around a win95 control and tcoolbar is a more up to date component - but i'm pretty sure it's a delphi problem, if you do it wth win32 api calls they look fine

to the best of my knowlage, borland copied Mike L's theme engine into D7 but used an earlier version that didn't erase the backgound correctly in places  - this was corrected by Mike, but D7 had shipped already, so some components are well and truely stuffed (TToolbar and TPanel being the worse offendors - though, TPanels fault is 100% borlands, they set a default property and forgot to set a value to it in the constructor which totally screwed up the streaming system , but all you need to do is toggle 'ParentBackground'  to fix it)

Last edited by dloneranger (2006-08-09 01:06)

#28 2007-08-26 17:57

Ttech

den4b wrote:
dloneranger wrote:

Strange thing though about your forums - I've never seen so many reads compared to post's

Maybe people come here only to read, and have nothing to say yet? Forum is relatively new, and it is hard to make all people just start using it. My another guess, is that I reply on posts too fast, and most of the time I give the full explanation/answer straight away, so other users don't even have time to participate, apart from you - who have looooads of spare time, lucky you wink

Thats the way it works... :-)  Me and a friend run a support forum for our Wordpress plugins, usually people only ask for help and then never sign on again. :-)

Actually,  I was going to say that alot of the free apps on this topic are portable... :-)
http://portablefreeware.com/?sc=51&p=2 - Net Set MAn

#29 2007-08-28 16:40

den4b
Administrator

ReNamer 5.00 is there as well big_smile ... http://portablefreeware.com/?id=562

By the way, I've been using NetSetMan on my laptop for more than a year now, it is very good!!

#30 2007-09-06 15:38

Ventaur

I'm a fan of NetSetMan too. Good stuff for my laptop.

I cannot say enough to my programming colleagues (or anyone else for that matter) about Mozy. You get 2 GB of online encrypted backup space for free. The application is really easy to use; just indicate the folders/files you want backed-up and it monitors them for changes, uploading the encrypted changes only, then merging them with the copy on their servers. It's saved my butt a few times. I would be thoroughly depressed if I ever lost all of my code to a simple hard drive failure or worse.

Another cool part is you get 256 MB of additional free space for each person you refer. You even get that added on if you were the one referred! I'm up to several GB now with friends and colleagues that I've referred. I even got my dad using it for his photos.

Anyway, I sound like I work for them! Check it out for free. Use my referral code or don't use it. Just check it out to avoid things like what happened to Denis in July!

https://mozy.com/?code=KERF26

-Matt

Board footer