#1 2024-05-29 18:21

ubose

Reserialize files in a different order that are already searialized

I have several serialized filenames. I want to re-serialize those files to make a different sort order. For example, I have files named like this.

Filename #1
Filename #2
Filename #3
and so on

I want to re-serialize the files, let's say, in the following order.

Filename #1 -> Filename #5
Filename #2 -> Filename #3
Filename #3 -> Filename #1
and so on

Also, to avoid having to re-serialize filenames, how do I serialize a set of files, such as photos taken with a camera, in a particular order to begin with?

Thanks for your help!

#2 2024-05-31 16:45

den4b
Administrator

Re: Reserialize files in a different order that are already searialized

Generally speaking, you can re-serialize your filenames but removing the existing index and then adding the new serialization index.

You haven't described the logic that you want to apply for re-serializing, so we can't suggest any specific renaming rules. Also, a complete example of original names and the desired new names is necessary to better understand your requirements.

If you are talking about photos, then a common pattern is to use the date when the photo was taken. You can insert it via the EXIF_Date meta tag.

#3 2024-06-01 00:15

ubose

Re: Reserialize files in a different order that are already searialized

I was able to rename the files with new serialized numbers by arranging the files in the same order as of the new serial. I arranged the files by dragging them into desired locations in the list that is displayed in the bottom half of the ReNamer interface. Had I captured a screenshot of it, I would have shared it here to help understand visually.

Board footer