#1 2011-01-27 20:09

Shalbatana

A nicer GUI would be great

I usually place this as a low priority on my list, but the program as it stands is so well done that I think it's time... It needs an interface-lift. A nicer GUI would be great. Nothing crazy, but perhaps even just making the window more in line with the modern windows appearance.

that (and the bug I noted in the bug thread) are the only thing that keep it from 10 out of 10

If you want 10++......
I've also seen other renaming programs that have a function for modifying/batch modifying id3 tags and other media info. Implementation of this into renamer (or as an add-on or even program offshoot would be amazing. This is not essential though.

#2 2011-01-28 20:14

eR@SeR

Re: A nicer GUI would be great

I usually place this as a low priority on my list, but the program as it stands is so well done that I think it's time... It needs an interface-lift. A nicer GUI would be great. Nothing crazy, but perhaps even just making the window more in line with the modern windows appearance.

Do you have any specific idea/design already so we can discuss about?

I've also seen other renaming programs that have a function for modifying/batch modifying id3 tags and other media info. Implementation of this into renamer (or as an add-on or even program offshoot would be amazing. This is not essential though.

ReNamer isn't designed for that purpose, unfortunately. Here is an answer: How I can change ID3 v1 & 2 TAG mp3 files
Cheers smile

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#3 2011-01-29 04:51

Shalbatana

I'm not up on "skin" talk, but i'll try to describe some thoughts.

1) flat tan color makes the program look Under-done. It's very windows 95.
Some kind of gradient or rounding to it would look nice. Perhaps a blue or soft green wash.

2) Place the icons at the top (add files, add folders, etc.) on 3-d buttons that butt up against one another, creating one long tube of buttons. Perhaps same with next row.

3) some tiled watermark or pattern on the white.. very very light, but something to break the monotony. (or not)

4) icons for menus. page for file, cogs for settings, question mark in a circle for help... the usual.

perhaps, and this is probably going overboard, replace the window frame itself with a double thin-outer, thick inner border or something. This would make the program look more like a cool "widget" than a "function call" per-se.

Again, don't get me wrong. All this is trivial. But it's the only real suggestion I really have.

---

AFA mp3. I agree, it really is the domain of a different type of program. I don't know why the others offer it, but they do so I thought I'd mention it.

---

Just as a thought. I wonder if it would be helpful to anyone if you could set up a hot-spot on your desktop. In other words, you pre-define renaming rules and then select the "hot spot" option. It places an icon on your desktop or taskbar, or an option in the context menu. Any files you then drop on that spot (or highlight then right-click and select "renamer" are instantly converted and dropped back into the original folder.

I don't know if I'd ever need that, but someone might. I don't know of any other renaming programs that offer it.

Last edited by Shalbatana (2011-01-29 04:53)

#4 2011-01-29 18:38

Andrew

Minor interface changes are fine, but IMO if ReNamer becomes bloated and starts supporting useless things like skins, I'd choose never to update the version I'm using right now.

#5 2011-01-30 08:54

SDdave

I looked at dozens of different renamers before settling on this one.  I don't recall any that had a better user interface than ReNamer.  What exactly would hiding useful text behind cute icons really accomplish?  And as Andrew said, all skins are going to add is bloat.  The suggestions made seemed intended to unnecessarily spice up ReNamer's appearance, rather than add any new functionality.  Here's one firm "no" vote.

#6 2011-02-21 00:27

Shalbatana

Wow, strong opinions. I can understand and respect where you're coming from though.

Agreed, no need nor desire to bloat the program. small size and ease of use are paramount in my book too. However adding a few png buttons would add little more than a couple mb if done right. Additionally it could be added as a DL option, so those who think a few hundred kb is too much can skip it. Plus most of what was suggested could be done using the windows built-in libraries, and icons already provided within windows, further reducing any increase in file size. In truth, you probably need not expand the program any more than a few kb.

Also, I'm not saying the program needs skinning capability, it just needs "a" look.

Unfortunately, the truth is that an appealing interface is probably the 3rd most valuable thing (after comprehensive functionality and price) for attracting new users. Like I said, the flat display makes the program look like it was designed for windows 95. That can actually be detrimental to perspective users who might think it outdated.

much of what was written above is over the top I agree, but suggestions were asked for, so there they are.

I totally concede that what I'm asking adds no functionality, but by golly it's the only suggestion I can think of. The program is perfect otherwise.

---

So what about the "droplet" idea? What do you guys think of that? Like i said I don't need such a thing but I could see it being handy. Got the idea from a video encoder I use at work.

---

Not sure if this could be done already, but what about a way to set conditional renaming? If file date has "2010" then add prefix "outdated", else add "current"? such a thing would make a droplet feature really useful. I haven't tried it, but a clever set of rules might be able to do this already and I don't have the program in front of me. If not, that would be useful I think.

Last edited by Shalbatana (2011-02-21 00:33)

Board footer