#11 2006-10-23 16:30

den4b
Administrator

Re: Some GUI and advanced usage suggestions

Sorry for such a late reply, Maian. I was thinking there for a while, about the last two points.

1) What would be better: another mini drop-spot window (which will be shown on users' request and it will always be on top of other windows) OR the super minimized version of the main window (as shown in the previous post)?

6) That's a good idea! I think I'll go for it smile

#12 2006-10-23 18:15

den4b
Administrator

Just now, I've changed the options in the default behavior for adding files/folders. I've also removed that confirmation message when files are pasted into ReNamer. Try it, and tell me what you think: ReNamerBeta.zip

It does provide more flexibility, but I already found a small drawback: If I want to rename the contents of a single folder (only subfolders but not the folder it-self), then I have to manually delete the root folder from the table, while the previous behavior didn't add the root folder on the first place (that was more suitable for me, all the time).

#13 2006-10-24 10:35

Maian

Downloaded the new build - works fine as far as I can tell.

1) I originally thought of a new mini dropbox window that can be minimized to the system tray. But the resizing window thing could work as well - not sure where the dropbox mode button should go though. The dropbox window itself would also need a button to revert to/bring up the main window.

There should also be options for handling drops to the dropbox window:
If the dropbox window and main window are different windows:
- Bring up and focus main window
- Close dropbox window
If they're the same (resizing of window):
- Revert to main window

And finally, the system tray options:
- Minimize to system tray

System tray context menu includes:
- Open main window (double click on system tray also does this)
- Open dropbox window
- Exit

6) How about adding a new option: Exclude selected folders as files (not including contents of those folders). Or something like that.

#14 2006-10-25 14:43

den4b
Administrator

6) Is not an issue any more, I've added "skip root folders when added as files" option.

1) Drop box is the way to go. I can add a button beside Options button, above the files table. Once user clicks it, main window will hide and drop box will appear. Drop box will be about 80x80 in size, always on top of other windows, and possibly alpha-blended (configurable). It will display how many items are currently in the files table, and how many items have been recently dropped into the box. User is able to drag it around the screen, obviously. Double-clicking on the drop box will hide it and will bring back the main window.

How does that sounds?

#15 2006-10-26 04:10

Maian

Sounds good smile I don't think the dropbox needs to show the already added items though - the dropbox should be as small as possible.

#16 2006-10-27 16:14

den4b
Administrator

"Small as possible" - of course!

When I said "It will display how many items are currently in the files table, and how many items have been recently dropped into the box" - I meant displaying only the number, something like: "123 total", "45 added".

#17 2008-02-21 15:26

krtek

I simply minimize ReNamer to the taskbar and then drag files to the minimized ReNamer, which gives ReNamers window back to the screen and I can drop the files into it.
Simple. With no extra window.
If you need to launch ReNamer quickly and don't want to have a shortcut on your desktop use Launchy - nice and small app that indexes your desktop, menu start (and any other folder you want). You press alt+space, small window shows up, you start to write a name of the program (I usually write "re" for renamer and press enter), press enter and here you go.
It takes less than a second to start any app. And you don't have to take your hands out of keyboard.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#18 2008-02-24 13:51

den4b
Administrator

That "drop box" idea dropped out after a while. It is still in the "to do" list, but I am not certain that it will ever be implemented, as I found it to be an overkill for this application. There are much more useful features on the "to do" list. By the way, I do exactly the same as does krtek, I mouse over the taskbar while dragging files and ReNamer pops up automatically. Alternatively, I use copy & paste from time to time.

Board footer