#1 2007-01-24 19:20

fjord

Multiple extensions in "Select by Extension"

Denis, how about allowing multiple extensions in Select by Extension? This could be a list separated by | (vertical bar).

And how about Mark by Extension and Clear by Extension?  (I actually just did a Select by Extension followed by Mark Only Selected, so this is actually a reasonable request ;-)

I did a Select by Extension several times, using the same extension(s) each time. It would have been nice if the previously used extension(s) appeared by default, or there was a drop-down list of recently used extensions (as in an auto-completion dropdown), so I didn't have to retype the same thing each time.

Actually, I am sort of wondering why you use both selected AND marked in the program? What's the need for having marking? Couldn't just selecting be enough to identify which files get operated on? (I know there are good reasons...but it is one aspect of your fine program which is a bit confusing at first...ie not immediately obvious to all users.)

Last edited by fjord (2007-01-24 19:41)

#2 2007-01-24 22:44

den4b
Administrator

Re: Multiple extensions in "Select by Extension"

120% positive! I've just implemented these suggestions. And to be honest, I should've done this a loooong time ago... Please, try it out: ReNamerBeta.zip

Last used values for these dialogs: "Mark by mask", "Select by filename length", "Select by extension", "Select by mask" - will now be remembered between every use, and between different sessions. Also, all of them apart from "Select by filename length" dialog will allow users to enter multiple masks/extensions, separating them with the semicolons.

Marking vs Selecting. Selection is very flexible operation, which allows quick manipulations with files, like: move up/down, delete, execute shell operation, etc. Marking is more kind of fixed operation, it defines items which are going to be processed by Preview and Rename operations. Not marked items will not be previewed or renamed. Does this explain everything?

#3 2007-01-25 05:47

fjord

Thanks. I'll try it out. You are marvellous. cool:cool::cool:

I understand marking vs selecting...but didn't see all the possibilities when I first started using ReNamer.

Regarding selecting/marking, I'm still in favor of a fixed file-filter/mask function or rule that would be saved as part of a preset. For example, I would define a filter/mask "*.jpg" for a preset for renaming pictures according to exif date. Then I could load whole directories, select and run the preset, without having to think about selecting the appropriate files. At present, to make a bullet-proof preset, I have to use a RegEx or script rule to check extension before making the change, if the marked files are of mixed type.

My main problem is that I need to use ReNamer at 6-8 week intervals...and I tend to forget program features, options settings, and exactly what my presets do, between sessions. roll

#4 2007-01-25 05:59

fjord

Is there a "mark all" shortcut key, analogous to <ctrl-a> for select all? If not, how about defining <shift-a> for mark all?

Do you have an up-to-date list of keyboard shortcuts?

#5 2007-01-25 07:55

fjord

I tried the multiple masks & extensions in Mark by Mask and Select by Mask/Extension. That seems file.

As I think more about it, I would really like to see a "Mark" rule added to provide a way to choose files to be operated. The Mark rule would set and/or clear the file checkbox according to one or more criteria. The basic Mark rule dialog could contain the following:
- mask: a textbox for filename mask, allowing multiple masks separated by semicolon.
- extension: a textbox for list of extensions
- checkbox to unmark all files before applying the mask(s).
- checkbox for 'append' option to add marks for files that match, while leaving existing marks set.
- (I could also imagine criteria for file size and file date, but save that for later)

I wonder if your program logic would permit this kind of operation, or are rules not executed on files that are not marked? Which is your basic logic flow:
a) for each rule, for each file, if marked then apply rule, end if, end for, end for.
b) for each file, if marked then for each rule apply rule, end for, end if, end for.
Or something else?

If it is something like a), then I imagine that a set of rules could contain multiple "Mark" rules which would allow groups of rules to be applied to different sets of files. For example, imagine a rule set (preset) to rename files from my digital camera, containing the following rules:
- Mark - only files with mask IMG?????.jpg
- Insert - :EXIF_Date: as prefix
- Mark - only files with mask IMG?????.avi 
- Insert - :File_DateModified: as prefix  (since avi files don't have exif header)

This preset would only rename the jpg and avi files that have not previously been renamed. All other files would be ignored. And different rules are used on jpg or avi files. Do you get the idea?

But I suppose there is some fundamental reason this can't be done with your present program logic. Am I just dreaming again?

#6 2007-01-26 22:28

den4b
Administrator

Marking or filtering rule has already been discussed in several threads. There are several problems and architectural issues associated with it. It is the "B" logic: "for each file, if marked then for each rule apply rule, end for, end if, end for". At the moment, I cannot give you a definite answer about it. It's an idea with a "pending" status...

Whatever you are trying to do is already achievable with PascalScript rule. Using it, you can insert :EXIF_Date: only for JPG files and :File_DateModified: for AVI files, and you can also empty the new names for the rest of files (this will fail these files for renaming), or even leave their original names (this will effectively do nothing). You will need latest development version.

Tell me what you think. If you have problems with PascalScript, I can write you that script...

Board footer