#1 2013-03-22 04:13

Andrew

Use current system date/time format

Currently one can manually specify the Date Format to be used via Settings > Meta Tags:

BTa1yac.png

This is great, but what would be even better is if ReNamer has an option to use the date and time format currently in use on the system instead:

ydgPSTd.jpg

Perhaps a combination of short date and either short time or long time?

Last edited by Andrew (2013-03-22 04:13)

#2 2013-03-22 08:10

Stefan

Re: Use current system date/time format

Andrew wrote:

even better is if ReNamer has an option to use the date and time format currently in use on the system instead:

What would be  the use for this?
Normally i never have to change that format. Only once a year between german and english format perhaps.

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2013-03-22 09:33

SafetyCar
Website

But what would then happen with the symbols "/" and ":"? They are illegal for windows file names...

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#4 2013-03-23 00:23

Andrew

Stefan wrote:

What would be  the use for this?
Normally i never have to change that format. Only once a year between german and english format perhaps.

You and I individually might not keep changing the format daily, but ReNamer is used all over the world and I just thought it might be nice if the app can auto-detect whatever format is currently being used, no matter the Windows version or location.

SafetyCar wrote:

But what would then happen with the symbols "/" and ":"? They are illegal for windows file names...

Those can be handled quite easily with additional rules as required. I just thought there could be a textbox with the current system date/time format, and a checkbox stating "Use current system date/time format", in order to make it easier for users the world over.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion and of course Denis is free to implement it or ignore it as he feels best.

#5 2013-03-23 21:18

den4b
Administrator

It is of course possible to use the system date/time format for meta tags, but, as it was already mentioned, most of the time it will result in invalid filenames. So, using local settings for date/time formating is good, but creating a default functionality which will result in invalid filenames is bad.

The local date/time formating is already used for all date related columns in the files table and it's perfectly appropriate place for it. Meta tags, however, don't seem appropriate for it.

Board footer