#1 2016-11-17 18:39

Pierre

Using the Renamer to change file names in a sequence

I am not entirely sure how to word what my problem is. I think the best way to explain it would be to describe what I am trying to do.

I scan many, sometimes several hundred, pages at a time. When this occurs the file pages can get out of order very easily. If one page is out of order, then every page after that is out of order as well. The files save page_001 and so on but if the page number does not correlate I have problems.

I'm not sure how to word it exactly but I wish to change the sequence.

I want to go to "page_001" and rename it to "page_009" and then every page thereafter must follow that sequence.

So if I have:

page_001
page_002
Page_003

and I need to change the first page I would need it to read:

page_009
page_010
page_011

I am really not sure how to do this. When looking online I became more confused.

#2 2016-11-17 19:43

den4b
Administrator

Re: Using the Renamer to change file names in a sequence

There are several different ways of achieving this with ReNamer, but with the information that you have provided the following should work best.

Use these 3 rules:
1) RegEx: Replace expression "\d+\Z" with "" (skip extension)
2) Serialize: Serialize Incremental from 9 step 1 repeat 1 and pad to length 3 as Suffix (skip extension)
3) Insert: Insert "NEW\" as Prefix (skip extension)

This removes existing trailing numbers and renumbers them using the Serialize rule. The 3rd rule is optional, it just ensures that new names won't clash with any existing names. You can safely move them back later. Also, make sure that files are sorted by their name (click the "Name" column), so that they are renumbered correctly.

renamer-renumber-files.png

Board footer