#1 2018-01-22 00:49

kayten

Unable to get the .exe file to run

When I double-clicked on the Shutter .exe file, Windows put up a message that "Windows protected your PC", with a button labelled 'Don't run'. I clicked for 'More info' and was given the option to 'Run anyway'. When I clicked on that, a blue screen showed up saying that the PC was going to shut down and restart (which it did).

I found I was able to disable the protection screen, so then I was able to go ahead without the warning coming up ... but the PC still shut down, same as before.

In all, I must have tried it about four or five times, moving the file, downloading it afresh, etc, but the result was always the same. I have no idea why I'm not able to run this file - none at all.

I've been looking for a program to do one simple thing, and Shutter looks like it might well be able to do it (and not many can). I have a really good notes program that I can password protect, but it doesn't have the facility to shut down automatically after a set period of time. Naturally, I'm concerned that, if I leave my desk and forget to shut the program down, its contents (including bank details, passwords, etc) will be open to anyone who happens upon it. And the strongest password in the world would be completely useless, since the program would be wide open to any stranger.

As I said, I've searched high and low, and most task scheduler programs cannot be set to close a program after, say, 15 minutes idle time. I thought in Shutter I'd found a program that could do exactly this, but seems like I can't even find out if it can or not.

Anybody have any idea why the .exe file can't be opened? And has anyone come across this problem before? And help and advice would be very much appreciated. I really want to use Shutter, if it proves suitable, and I'd love to be able to get it working.

Thanks in advance.

- Ken

#2 2018-01-22 11:29

den4b
Administrator

Re: Unable to get the .exe file to run

It looks like your operating system is configured to prevent execution of not signed apps downloaded from the internet. This is most likely the SmartScreen feature of Windows. A simple "Run anyway" action normally resolves this issue. However, in your case, something is obviously broken in Windows, because it should not even need to restart or shutdown.

Some things you could try:

1. Try downloading a portable version of Shutter.
2. If you prefer to use the installer version, then run Shutter installer explicitly as an administrator (via right click context menu).
3. Try disabling the SmartScreen feature, at least temporarily.

#3 2018-01-22 12:36

kayten

Re: Unable to get the .exe file to run

Thank you!

I disabled the SmartScreen and I was able to install the program. Actually, I thought I had already disabled it, but there's so many options I must've got confused.

I tried setting Shutter to close the notes program and it worked fine. Great little program! I'm sure I'll find other uses for it, but even if I just got this one use out of it, it would be invaluable.

Thanks for replying, and thank you to the creator of the program.

(and by the way, I reversed the SmartScreen disabling after installation - it's obviously useful and shouldn't be left turned off).

Board footer