#1 2021-01-21 00:53

smares

Renaming files on slow network drive is painfully slow

Hello,

I have a network share on my NAS mounted as drive in Windows 10 and every now and then, I need to rename files from *.mp4 to *.m4v. The problem is that the PC I am working on has a slow connection to the NAS (via power line - usually it's about 100-200 Mbit/s) and every time I rename files using ReNamer, it takes ages. Looking at the task manager's performance tab, I can see that a lot of RX traffic is going on over the network interface. What exactly is happening that ReNamer has to "download" so much data? It's like it's reading the whole content of the files being renamed.

BTW, I have the metadata support turned off as I thought it might speed up things, but it didn't.

Cheers,
Sebastian

#2 2021-01-21 13:07

den4b
Administrator

Re: Renaming files on slow network drive is painfully slow

The basic function of renaming files does not need to read the content of files.

However, some features/operations in ReNamer do require access to the content of files:

1. Meta tags.

2. Exif date column in the file table.

3. Certain routines in the Pascal Script rule which access the content of files.

4. Moving files between different network shares or mounted drives. The operating system will have to read it from the original location and write it into the target location.

If you don’t use any of the above but still observe heavy network usage, it might be caused by other applications, such as anti-virus software, which often scan files as soon as they get accessed.

I would suggest checking which exact process is responsible for the heavy network usage. You can use the Resource Monitor for this. See this guide: How to See the Applications Using Your Network on Windows 10.

#3 2021-01-23 02:51

smares

Re: Renaming files on slow network drive is painfully slow

Hmm, interesting, while the task manager itself shows "ReNamer (32 Bit)" as using the network, the resource monitor lists "System" with a high number of transferred bytes (incrementing during the renaming process) - ReNamer is not even on the list of processes with network activity. Thanks for pointing out to have a look with resource monitor.

Board footer