#1 2006-04-23 20:06

jarin_b
Member
Registered: 2006-04-23
Posts: 10

ReNamer - translatable

Hi,
I have a suggestion: make ReNamer translateable, please.

Thanks,
Jarek

PS1: I tried many file-renaming programs and ReNamer is the best!
PS2: Excuse my "english"

Offline

#2 2006-04-24 13:51

den4b
Administrator
From: den4b.com
Registered: 2006-04-06
Posts: 3,144

Re: ReNamer - translatable

Hi, Jarek!

Unfortunately, the Internationalization process is very-very time consuming. I'm not ready to make a Multi-Lingual User Interface, since I'm a single developer and developing only in my free time. I prefer an idea that it would be better that I spend free time that I do get - improving my tools, making then powerful, flexible, and easy to use. Again, making the programs support translations - will require a lot of time and effort, and will dramatically slow down the development process, since it would require the language files to be updated on every release.

Well, I hope you understand me smile

Offline

#3 2006-04-24 15:10

jarin_b
Member
Registered: 2006-04-23
Posts: 10

Re: ReNamer - translatable

Hi Denis,

I understand you smile and I agree with you.
Question: may I localize ReNamer.exe?

Thanks,
Jarek

Offline

#4 2006-04-26 08:43

den4b
Administrator
From: den4b.com
Registered: 2006-04-06
Posts: 3,144

Re: ReNamer - translatable

The only way to localize ReNamer is to load the ReNamer Project from within the Delphi IDE, and edit all the strings in all the components and in some other places.. that requires a Delphi installation on your PC, a source code for ReNamer, and some programming skill with Delphi. Another thing is: you might accidentally break the code, since it is a lot of code indeed and you are unfamiliar with it.

What do you think about that?

I think it would be better to wait till I get my hands on the translation unit, which would let people create language files and load them dynamically.. but I don't know when that will be ready.

Offline

#5 2006-04-26 11:23

jarin_b
Member
Registered: 2006-04-23
Posts: 10

Re: ReNamer - translatable

Hi Denis,

Denis Kozlov wrote:

The only way to localize ReNamer is to load the ReNamer Project from within the Delphi IDE, and edit all the strings in all the components and in some other places.. that requires a Delphi installation on your PC, a source code for ReNamer, and some programming skill with Delphi. Another thing is: you might accidentally break the code, since it is a lot of code indeed and you are unfamiliar with it.

I have D5 and D6. I have some programming skill with Delphi. smile


Denis Kozlov wrote:

I think it would be better to wait till I get my hands on the translation unit

Cool idea big_smile


Third alternative: Multilizer (or Language Localizator) + hex-editor.

Regards,
Jarek

Offline

#6 2006-04-26 22:49

den4b
Administrator
From: den4b.com
Registered: 2006-04-06
Posts: 3,144

Re: ReNamer - translatable

jarek wrote:

Third alternative: Multilizer (or Language Localizator) + hex-editor.

Did you see the prices for that Multilizer??? yikes yikes yikes

Multilizer Enterprise Edition (euro 3289.00)
Multilizer Windows Edition (euro 1985.00)
Multilizer .Net and VB Edition (euro 1285.00)
Multilizer VCL Edition (euro 1285.00)
Multilizer for VC++ (euro 1285.00)
Multilizer Java Edition (euro 685.00)
Multilizer for Mobile (euro 3289.00)

I'm not getting paid for my programs, and I defiantly wouldn't want to pay my-self for developing them, especially these huuuge amounts wink
I think the second route is the way to go: "it would be better to wait till I get my hands on the translation unit"..

Offline

#7 2006-04-27 07:11

jarin_b
Member
Registered: 2006-04-23
Posts: 10

Re: ReNamer - translatable

Hi Denis,

I am sorry, I misinterpreted you.

"Third alternative: Multilizer (or Language Localizator) + hex-editor." = I have Multilizer, I have Language Localizator, I have hex-editor. That is why I have translated ReNamer.exe (cca 70%) smile

Offline

#8 2006-04-27 16:05

den4b
Administrator
From: den4b.com
Registered: 2006-04-06
Posts: 3,144

Re: ReNamer - translatable

jarek wrote:

I have Multilizer, I have Language Localizator, I have hex-editor. That is why I have translated ReNamer.exe (cca 70%)

Cool! Can you share that hacked version? What language is it? I want to have a look big_smile

By the way, I found a 4-th alternative! I can give you all the *.DFM (Forms definitions) and a single unit where I store all the messages. You can translate them without any problems, using a simple text editor. Then send them to me, and I'll compile a translated version for you smile What do you think?

About 2-nd alternative: I was playing with the translation module that I've made previously, and I discovered a big problem - it will not work for ReNamer 3.xx, actually it will but not for the Rules Configuration, since they are Frames which are created dynamically (trey are not registered in Application). Ups.. Every time I look into the Internalization - it scares me! It really is a lot of work, and it is not the amount of work that bothers me, but this BIG annoyance/overhead of updating the Language files on every release.

Offline

#9 2006-04-30 10:45

jarin_b
Member
Registered: 2006-04-23
Posts: 10

Re: ReNamer - translatable

Denis Kozlov wrote:

Cool! Can you share that hacked version? What language is it? I want to have a look big_smile

Of course! Czech. I send you a e-mail.


Denis Kozlov wrote:

By the way, I found a 4-th alternative! I can give you all the *.DFM (Forms definitions) and a single unit where I store all the messages. You can translate them without any problems, using a simple text editor. Then send them to me, and I'll compile a translated version for you smile What do you think?

I agree with this idea. Let us go!

Offline

#10 2006-05-04 12:04

den4b
Administrator
From: den4b.com
Registered: 2006-04-06
Posts: 3,144

Re: ReNamer - translatable

Jarek, we have to wait till I release a new version, since many changes has been applied to the user interface... It will not take long, maybe a week or so. Once it is released, I'll mail you all the *.DFM (Forms definitions) and a single unit where I store all the messages.

And then ReNamer will go Czech smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB