#1 2008-05-29 18:22

eR@SeR

Extension rule: "Detect using binary signature" problem

I found this option very useful for renaming extensions like .zip, .rar, files.

But something is little bit strange to me.

I added folder ("Strani") into table window and it won't show preview of included files.

Then I added all files from it and a error message apears.

hurdenlaufkq6.th.jpg

I suspected that that issue have something with unicode characters but it is not case with them (cyrillic one).

These characters make this error message: ć, č, š, ž, đ, ü, é...

None of the files in folder "Izveštaji" are not previewed too. Same error displays.

What could be the issue?

P.S. Also mp3 files with these characters (Beyoncé) are not playable in "winamp"...

Last edited by eR@SeR (2008-05-29 18:25)

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#2 2008-05-30 19:32

den4b
Administrator

Re: Extension rule: "Detect using binary signature" problem

I forgot to convert "binary signature detection" procedures into Unicode capable roll

They worked only for local language characters, until now. I updated it, try it out: ReNamerBeta.zip

#3 2008-06-01 14:14

eR@SeR

Hm, look at this images. First one is 5.25, second one is Beta.

Beta shows invalid message for .xls files. In ver 5.25 there is no that message.

Maybe I missed something roll. Correct me...

renamer525cj1.th.jpg

renamerbetatg3.th.jpg

P.S. I detected this possible issue instantly but I haven't possibility to write. Dad worked something on PC hmm

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#4 2008-06-02 20:50

den4b
Administrator

Strange, because any recent version should warn you about those files being invalid.

This is due to the fact that your XLS files would be identified as MS Office documents, but there is not definite identification whether they are DOC, PPT, XLS, etc. That is why the extension for MS Office files is detected as multi-extension, e.g.: doc|ppt|xls. I decided to use that forbidden filename character (vertical bar) to bring it to user's attention.

Actually, I got curious. I downloaded clean 5.25 version, and tested several DOC/PPT/XLS documents. Guess what? It did show the warning. tongue

#5 2008-06-03 00:29

eR@SeR

I found what was all about lol, not funny actually sad:

Settings/Preview/Validate new names on preview were not checked on 5.25 version, but on beta is checked by default when is extracted from .zip

I have to disable it because I renamed a batch of images, but I've forgotten to enable it tongue

Sorry for "false alarm" roll. Anyway that vertical bar is excellent solution to distract user attention...

Last edited by eR@SeR (2008-06-03 00:30)

#6 2008-06-03 05:32

Andrew

I think he meant to attract the user's attention eR@SeR, not distract it! wink

#7 2008-06-03 22:31

eR@SeR

When I'm unsure about some word or phrase i.e. what should I put, I use dictionary. Mine freeware dictionary pops up that word distract besides these one advert, allude for this query "скренути пажњу". I decided to use first one. Maybe seems like opposite meaning, but it is like, it is. wink

Probably everyone understood what I wanted to say tongue

#8 2010-06-18 18:41

eR@SeR

Added rule:
1) Extension: Detect using binary signature

Example:

Timbaland Ft. Keri Hilson, Michael Jackson & Willy William - The Way I Are (Michael Jackson Tribute)

becomes

Timbaland Ft.mp3

should be

Timbaland Ft. Keri Hilson, Michael Jackson & Willy William - The Way I Are (Michael Jackson Tribute).mp3

#9 2010-06-26 01:36

den4b
Administrator

Everything that follows the last dot in the filename is considered to be an extension. There is no way of knowing that some random text like in your example is not an extension. You should simply use "Append to the original extension" option.

P.S. You should've really created a new topic! This thread is more than 2 years old! yikes

#10 2010-06-27 18:17

eR@SeR

Yes you right and I knew that already but forgot to give workaround as Stefan has given here.

P.S. You should've really created a new topic! This thread is more than 2 years old!

It was related to "Detect using binary signature" problem. Sorry for posting here sad
Maybe old topics should be locked for avoiding this...?

Board footer