#11 2008-07-17 15:05

den4b
Administrator

Re: "Part of set" ID3 MetaTag

Once again, thanks for all the details guys!

I modified the ID3 libraries to add support for reading the "Part Of Set" tags (TPOS/TPA frames). I have done a bit testing and it seems to work fine, but I will appreciate if you all run few tests too.

Here is the latest dev version for testing: ReNamerBeta.zip

Please, try it out, and tell me how it goes, ok?

#12 2008-07-17 15:16

den4b
Administrator

A little of the topic...

Obvious advertising of other programs is not really appreciated. I don't mind if you recommend a possible solution, but as long as it doesnt sound like an advertising... To give you an example of what does sounds like an advertising:

I'd like to tell you about a fantastic free utility I found while searching for a solution to your problem. I'm sure until ReNamer natively supports all the ID3v1 and v2 tags, everyone can use the fabulous program called ID3Renamer (http://www.id3renamer.com/download-en.html). I tried out the portable version (it comes as a self-extracting EXE) and was able to do exactly what you're looking for. In fact, I just added a brand new utility to my toolset too

Andrew, this is first and last time, ok? There is a fine edge between helping people, and advertising. I think you have crossed it slightly.

Andrew wrote:

4) Specifying the rename string as "%Artist\%Track - %Title" will actually cause subdirectories to be created! This is an awesome feature! Thus if you have all your files in one dir., this will create different subdirs. for each artist and place the properly renamed songs by each artist inside his/her dir. Amazing, right?! (Denis, can ReNamer do something like this in a future version?)

If you would've tried it your-self, you would've known that the answer is Yes.

#13 2008-07-17 16:49

Andrew

den4b wrote:

A little of the topic...

Obvious advertising of other programs is not really appreciated. I don't mind if you recommend a possible solution, but as long as it doesnt sound like an advertising... To give you an example of what does sounds like an advertising:
Andrew, this is first and last time, ok? There is a fine edge between helping people, and advertising. I think you have crossed it slightly.

Actually Denis, if you've read my post fully, you'd have noticed that I repeatedly mentioned that I was unsure if I was allowed to even mention any other renamer other than yours here, but then I went ahead due to the reasons mentioned (that it wasn't a general renamer like ReNamer but only for MP3s etc.) Believe me, I searched in the forum to see if a topic like this had ever come up and you'd ever made your feelings known about it. Since you hadn't, I went ahead (with doubts), and it seems my doubts were right on the money from your negative response here.

But I do mind that you mistook my enthusiasm for the other program as advertising. I'm even more enthusiastic about ReNamer on other forums and I rave about and recommend it to people all the time! However, let me make one thing very clear to one and all. I am not affiliated with that program in any way whatsoever. In fact, I hadn't even heard about it till I searched on the net for a solution to the original poster's problems. Thus, I couldn't really give a damn if anyone uses that program or not. You didn't like my mentioning it here, fine, no problems at all with that. I myself thought you might not like it but wasn't sure so I mentioned it anyway. Now that I know how you feel, you can be sure it'll never happen again. But I would've appreciated it if you didn't doubt my integrity and accuse me of shamelessly advertising another program on your forums.

If you want to delete my post mentioning that program (and possibly Konrad's follow-up post mentioning another program), please feel free to do so; I don't mind in the least. The original poster's problems have anyway been solved since you've added support for the missing tags in ReNamer itself. I had very clearly mentioned that the other program was useful only until ReNamer had support for those tags, and that's come true now. So there's no need for those posts anymore.

den4b wrote:

If you would've tried it your-self, you would've known that the answer is Yes.

Yup, I admit I didn't try that feature in ReNamer. I didn't have that much time and so I only saw what seemed to be a great feature in the other program and mentioned without checking that it might be a worthwhile addition to ReNamer's feature set. The fact that ReNamer already has that feature just goes to show how great it is and how many hidden features are still there for us users to find! smile

Re. the support for the TPOS tag, I'd mentioned this on the 1st page of this topic:

Andrew wrote:

BTW, if support for this tag is to be added, then possibly text such as "1/2" should be converted to "1 of 2".

I just checked and while ReNamer is able to access that tag fine, it doesn't substitute the "/" (forward slash) character which leads to an invalid filename. Instead of the user adding one more rule to correct such a trivial side-effect, as I'd said earlier, either the program should automatically convert "1/2" to "1 of 2", or else it should provide the user with an option to specify what he wants to substitute the "/" with. So the user can possibly type " of " (1 of 2) , or " - " (1 - 2) etc.

#14 2008-07-19 01:13

JM

Thanks again for everbody's help and sorry Den4b for creating a scenario that caused problems for you.  Not that it really matters but, I had already been testing with those other programs and some others that I will not mention before I had even posted in this forum.  My fave tool was ReNamer with that one exception.  I had even written a huge script to identify and pull a multi-disc set from the album name (since usually the disc number was part of the title).

But adding the TPOS field will definitely make it alot easier.  It was fun learning what the script language could do.  I had not used the Delphi script language before so I'm sure my code could be improved, but if anybody wants me to post what I did, let me know and I'll post it.

I can't believe how quickly you made the change to add this functionality, I'm pleasantly surprised.  I'll definitely be testing this out and I'll let you know my results.

Thanks again big_smile

#15 2008-07-22 21:28

JM

It will bring in "Part of set" now, but including some other meta tags after that gets unexpected results.  For instance, using this as an Insert rule: 
"-:ID3_TrackNo:_:ID3_Title:" after the :ID3_PartOfSet: displays
"-_2 A Song" instead of "-2_A Song".  (The underscore gets moved in front of the track instead of after the track).

I tried many different scenarios with unexpected results.

Also, out of curiosity, does WMA and FLAC use the TPOS meta tag?  If so, would those be included in the release too?

Last edited by JM (2008-07-22 21:29)

#16 2008-07-23 18:37

den4b
Administrator

I'm afraid I can't bring "Part of set" from WMA and FLAC (if such exist for those formats), they don't use ID3 structures to store the tags, they each have their own format.

Anyway, I couldn't fully understand what you were saying, can you please explain once more? Is there a problem with the tag?

#17 2008-07-24 13:39

Andrew

JM, giving ":ID3_PartOfSet:-:ID3_TrackNo:_:ID3_Title:" as the replacement string works fine for me on all the MP3s I've tested so far. Can you upload any particular MP3 on which this string fails and post the link to it here, so that we can check the same?

#18 2008-08-05 20:38

JM

I started taking print screens to give a more detailed view of what was happening, but I could not recreate the situation that was occuring when I first tried out the new code.  It is working. big_smile

#19 2008-08-06 19:37

Andrew

That's weird. Anyway, if the problem ever crops up again, do make a note of it and let us know! smile

Board footer