#1 2008-10-28 14:38

k_kolev1985

Accessibility and Bulgarian translit

Hello,

My name is Kostadin Kolev and I'm from Bulgaria. First, let me say that I'm using ReNamer for a long period of time and  I'm very happy with it :-). This useful program of yours has saved me a  lot of time and nerves of manual file renaming. Thanks to it I can  rename a lot of files automatically the way I want in a couple of  minutes (or even less :-) ).
And now to my questions:
1. I've made a bulgarian translit file for ReNamer. Hope that you can  include it in the next release of ReNamer. That way a lot of users here  in Bulgaria will benefit from it. And I will not have to add it to the  translits folder manually every time I reinstall Windows or something  like that :-).
2. I'm a visually impaired PC user and therefore use a screen reading  program (most of the times "JAWS for Windows" and sometimes "NVDA").  That is why I rely on keyboard navigation in the programs witch I use.  Unfortunately, most of the buttons in ReNamer's dialogs are not  reachable by TAB (keyboard) navigation. Can you make it possible so  those buttons are reachable by TAB navigation?
Another problem in term of accessibility is the file list in ReNamer's  main window. It is a list with checkboxes (witch are not detected by the  screen readers), but its window class is "TVirtualStringTree" witch  makes the screen readers "think" that they are in a treeview and not in  a listview. The rules list is a list with normal checkboxes witch screen  readers detect correctly. Its window class is  "TTntListView.UnicodeClass". I see no difference between the rules list  and the files list. So why is the files list a treeview and not a  listview? Can you make the files list a "TTntListView.UnicodeClass" with  the normal checkboxes like the rules list? That way thanks to an option  in the screen reader itself witch is for listviews only, I will be able  to read only a specified column of the currently selected file in the  list (e.g. the "New Name" one) and not the hole role, witch is very long  sometimes.
Well, ... that is all from me for now.

Thank you for your help and understanding in advance!

Best Wishes!
Kostadin Kolev

#2 2008-11-18 01:29

den4b
Administrator

Re: Accessibility and Bulgarian translit

1. Yes, I can include your Bulgarian translit file. Save it with ReNamer as a predefined alphabet, and send me that file. It can be found here for example: "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\Translits"

2. I have another visually impaired user who has helped me over time to improve some user interface bits. I am trying to keep interface of ReNamer as clean as possible - and as an unfortunate outcome of that some functions are not accessible by tab. But most used functions would have a shortcut key associated with them, you just need to find it out. If you tell me whic are the most problematic functions for you - I will try to think of ways to improve them.

3. There are many reasons for the files table to be TVirtualStringTree instead of TListView. Data abstraction, unicode support, incredible flexibility, performance - just to name the few. I have to keep it this way. I can't help you with this one.

Also, try to talk to RaZorbacK, he is in the same situation as you and he might be able to give you more tips regarding usage of ReNamer.

#3 2008-11-18 11:07

k_kolev1985

1. Yes, I can include your Bulgarian translit file. Save it with ReNamer as a predefined alphabet, and send me that file. It can be found here for example: "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\Translits"

I've sent to you the translit file to the e-mail address, witch is in the "About" box of ReNamer. Unfortunately, a few minutes later I received a "failure to deliver" notification from my e-mail service. Can you provide me with a way to send you the file?

2. I have another visually impaired user who has helped me over time to improve some user interface bits. I am trying to keep interface of ReNamer as clean as possible - and as an unfortunate outcome of that some functions are not accessible by tab. But most used functions would have a shortcut key associated with them, you just need to find it out. If you tell me whic are the most problematic functions for you - I will try to think of ways to improve them.

Well ... I've tested the interface now and so far I've noticed the following: The "flat" (if I'm not wrong that is how those buttons are called) are the most problematic. I've noticed (but only thanks to the fact that I have some vision left and can read the tooltip via mouse pointing), that the "insert Meta Tags" button has a shortcut key (CTRL+INS) assigned to it. The "separate multiple items" button has no keystroke assigned to it, but if I'm not wrong all it does is to insert a set of characters as a "separator" - all we have to know is witch characters it inserts and we can insert them manually from the keyboard. The "translit alphabets" button has no keystroke for itself and there is no way to activate it and load a translit file. The "options" button in the "user input" section also has no keystroke and is not possible to activate it.
And talking about keystrokes and such, it could be a good idea to make some kind of tutorial explaining all available shortcut keys in ReNamer. That way a lot more people will know them. For example, I didn't know the keystroke for inserting a meta tag and I don't know the character(s) witch are inserted for separators. But if there is already such a tutorial, please point it out to me, so I can read it.

3. There are many reasons for the files table to be TVirtualStringTree instead of TListView. Data abstraction, unicode support, incredible flexibility, performance - just to name the few. I have to keep it this way. I can't help you with this one.

Also, try to talk to RaZorbacK, he is in the same situation as you and he might be able to give you more tips regarding usage of ReNamer.

OK, I understand the situation with the files list. Hope that RaZorbacK will write something in this thread about how is he managing to work better with ReNamer. Otherwise, I'll contact him personally and ask him.

Thanks and best wishes!

#4 2008-12-16 18:33

den4b
Administrator

You can upload your translit file to any of the free file hosting providers and post a link here, for example: http://www.megaupload.com/, http://www.rapidshare.com/, http://www.uploading.com/, etc.

Regarding shortcuts: I'm afraid I simply don't have time to make such manual/tutorial... sad

#5 2008-12-23 09:27

k_kolev1985

OK, here's the bulgarian translit file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/176010584/B … r.rar.html
If necessary, I can upload it also somewhere else.

#6 2009-04-16 14:23

den4b
Administrator

I have included your Bulgarian translit file in the latest development version of ReNamer.

P.S. Just a note for future reference.

Board footer