#1 2008-12-30 13:53

kashi

Thumbnails view mode

Hi,

ReNamer is number 1 windows tool and it is a joy to use it. Especially because it support regular expressions and everything works as I expect - like that you have a soul of a Perl developer tongue

Today I used it to serialize file names of my photo album which I am going to publish on the internet. Since photos in my web gallery are sorted by the name I had to move the files (Ctrl+Up, Ctrl+Down) in Rename before applying 'Serialize' rule. Only thing I wish is a thumbnail preview so that I could see which file I am moving. Hope that this feature will go on todo list smile

Thanks for the great software. And I wish you peaceful new year 2009.

Best regards,
Miha

#2 2008-12-30 17:06

Stefan

Re: Thumbnails view mode

Hi Miha, welcome to the community

Maybe we can help you to make things easier?

kashi wrote:

Today I used it to serialize file names of my photo album which I am going to publish on the internet.
Since photos in my web gallery are sorted by the name
I had to move the files (Ctrl+Up, Ctrl+Down) in Rename
before applying 'Serialize' rule.

Why you have to manually resort your files?
Can you provide a few (6 till 10) examples of your file names?

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2009-01-01 11:12

kashi

Hello again,

As I said, photos in my web gallery/slideshow are sorted by name. This means that photo 001.jpg is shown before photo 002.jpg. Since order of photos is important for me I have to rename photos something like this:

DSC07708.JPG -> 004.jpg
DSC07709.JPG -> 001.jpg
DSC07710.JPG -> 003.jpg
DSC07711.JPG -> 002.jpg

All this can be done in Renamer. But it would be easier to change order of photos in Renamer if I could see them.

For example: now I have to check in external program what is on photo DSC07709.JPG and then change it's position in Renamer (then I apply serialize rule). If Renamer would show thumbnails of my photos then no external program would be needed which would make the whole process much easier.

Best regards,
Miha

#4 2009-01-05 07:14

kashi

I found solution for my problem. If someone wants to achieve the same thing as I do, here are the steps:

1) Open windows explorer and browse to the folder where your files are stored
2) Set view mode to 'Thumbnails'
3) Set Arrange Icons By to 'Auto-arrange'
4) Set Arrange Icons By to 'Name' (usually this is already set by default)
5) Order your photos/files in windows explorer by dragging them onto desired position
6) Select all photos/files in windows explorer
7) Grab the first photo/file and drag and drop all selected files in Renamer (it is important to grab first selected file when you do drag and drop to Renamer otherwise they will not be ordered when you drop them in Renamer)
8) Apply 'serialize' rule in Renamer.

I think there is no need to implement thumbnail preview. But it would be good provide this information in user manual.

#5 2009-01-05 18:01

Andrew

That's a good solution! smile

#6 2009-01-05 18:20

SafetyCar
Website

Yes good solution. I didn't realize of that possibility, but I have warn about one posible problem:

ReNamer can arrange the files clicking on the column name, so you must be sure it's not turned on, beacuse it can break the order you made.
To turn off this, you just have to do right click on the colum names, and click on "cancel sorting"
dibujoku4.jpg
w224.png

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

Board footer