#1 2009-01-30 04:25

prologician

"Character Encoding Correction" Rule

Hello. I'm quite new to ReNamer (I only started using it a few days ago), but so far I'm quite impressed with its functionality and flexibility (particularly in comparison to the previous tools I've used). So much so, that I'm gonna put forth a dream "rename rule," and see what kind of response it gets.

With a number of the files I get my hands on, I run into character encoding issues. For example, instead of getting the Japanese text ゲーム ("geemu", game), I get the garbled gibberish ƒQ[ƒ€. What I would love to see is a rule which could fix these kind of errors (I don't expect auto-detection, since that would be evil. Just a pair of menuboxes to select (1) the encoding under which the string should be interpreted and (2) the encoding which these bytes should be reinterpreted as.)

I suspect that this might be doable using PascalScript, though I don't have any idea where to start. hmm But perhaps this could be useful to the general ReNamer community (since it does have unicode support), so I'm putting the idea out there for maybe someone to look at. smile

~*~

EDIT: OK... so I actually wrote this one up myself. Heh. Go over to this thread to see such results. And/or, if a moderator/den4b himself wants to delete this thread, by all means. smile

Last edited by prologician (2009-02-03 03:39)

Board footer