#1 2009-02-11 16:34

narayan

Unaffected files should not be mentioned/marked

Sometimes, the rules do not apply to some files.
Such files remain unchanged after the renaming.
Even then, ReNamer shows a message after conversion:

x files renamed.
y files failed to be renamed!

(note- These words are not accurate!)

The GUI even shows a red cross against those files.

This creates the impression that the files were SUPPOSED to be renamed, but could not be renamed because of some reason (e.g. locking by other application).

Instead, the message should not mention the y files at all, which were unaffected by the renaming operation.

Also, there should not be any symbol against these files, because Renamer has not even acted on them.

#2 2009-02-11 17:21

prologician

Re: Unaffected files should not be mentioned/marked

If ReNamer incorporated what you were asking, how would you know if there were really a problem? As in, you have a large directory of pictures, dump them in, set a few rules, and told it to rename.... and you were told that 497 files renamed. How would you know that this was correct, as compared to the possible scenario that 3 files had naming collisions (or some other error) with other files?

As it stands, if Renamer has a rule which doesn't apply to a file, the filename goes through unchanged, and when told to rename, the file is given a checkmark icon (and the file is successfully "renamed").

If I understand the concept of the program correctly, if you dump in a file, it ~is~ assumed that it will have the rules applied to it. So, I don't believe that what you are describing is an error.

#3 2009-02-11 17:57

narayan

Now that I see it from your point of view, the message seems to be just fine.  Thanks!

It also occurs to me that ReNamer is one of the few applications that allows all rules to be applied as a stack, so you expect ALL the loaded files to be renamed.

In other applications, the rules are applied one after the other, so any given rule may not necessarily apply to all the files.

#4 2009-02-11 20:47

krtek

The rules are applied for all the filenames (not files) when you press Preview (or when AutoPreview takes place). After Preview you get a table with files to be renamed and their new filenames.
When you press Rename none of the rules is applied. On Rename program just renames files according to the table that was created before (on Preview).

I'm not sure if ReNamer tries to rename files wich have the same old and new filename in the files table. But theoretically it renames all the selected files.
In other words: if all the selected files after Rename have names as specified as new names in the files table - it means that renaming was successful for all the files. No matter if there really were a change of the filename.

Gosh, I hope you'll understand what I mean... Tricky English...

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#5 2009-02-11 23:04

den4b
Administrator

Both prologician and krtek are correct. ReNamer will process all of the marked files that are in the table. This is how it works and there are good reasons for this. And the reason why you see an error beside some of your files is because, as ReNamer says: "files are failed to be renamed" - simple as that, it tells you exactly what happened.

Board footer