#1 2009-02-20 13:02

den4b
Administrator

Testers needed for core optimizations in ReNamer

I have been working on cleaning up and optimizing the core code of ReNamer. Now I could really use your help in testing it out extensively.

Aspects and features that you should focus on:

• Renaming / Undo operations

• Export / Import features

• Validation (check existing paths, duplicates in list, etc)

• Overwrite with new name feature

This optimized version can be downloaded from here: <link removed>

I've benchmarked Preview with Validation for 10'000 files without any rules:
ReNamer v5.40: 36 seconds
ReNamer Beta2: 10 seconds big_smile

Please post here if you do (AND if you don't) discover anything strange.

#2 2009-02-20 14:38

Re: Testers needed for core optimizations in ReNamer

Does installation of the Beta require deinstallation of the regular Renamer? Or can they coexist if only one chooses a different path (and under Vista makes a backup of the preferences)?

#3 2009-02-20 16:16

They can not only coexist but when renaming in Beta, then renaming in 5.40, then undoing in Beta, it...works (because the Beta does not validate in between but still applies the dynamically stored names, lol).

My first Renamer 2 Beta Test / Vista Ultimate 32b:

1) Changed File / Folder Names

1. Add Files / Folders.

2. Change some name(s) outside Renamer.

3. Preview does not test whether names have changed, all statuses are green.

4. Rename: only now the status of the renamed files becomes red and these are not renamed.

[Similar Behaviour in 5.40.]

Of course, already Preview should validate especially since that is one of the major purposes of a preview...

When Files are all deleted and then added again or when Renamer is restarted, it works. The bug occurs only when the previously added files / folders are still shown in Renamer.

2) Help Donate

Launches Webbrowser and tries to access webpage without a) checking whether the user wants this kind of inter process communication and b) verifying that the current Windows user is and wants to be online. The latter might be derived from the Windows Internet Settings.

3) Help About Email Link

Launches WinMail but it ought to launch the Standard Email program (Thunderbird in my case).

Since the user clicks an email link, verification like under (2) is not necessary.

The other Help menu program calls all launch the standard program for every task; only the
program call for email fails to do so.

4) PresetsManager Edit / Presets Browser

Do not work under Vista because of user access rights to the path; see my earlier forum topic for 5.40.

5) I do not understand what exactly Presets Import is supposed to do, so I cannot test it meaningfully.

6) The added UserInput options work, thank you!

7) Everything else tested for my usual tasks works (so far :) ).

Last edited by report (2009-02-20 16:21)

#4 2009-02-20 21:25

krtek

report wrote:

3. Preview does not test whether names have changed, all statuses are green.
Of course, already Preview should validate especially since that is one of the major purposes of a preview...

I don't think Preview should validate if names have changed. The main (and I guess only) goal of Preview is to create table of new filenames according to the given set of rules and the given set of filenames (treated as given strings, not files).
I don't think such validation is worth decreasing performance.

In my opinion, if any validation should be done, it should be done at Rename. And it does. You're getting feedback about files that hasn't been renamed (for several reasons). And then you can act accordingly to these data.

I guess that validation on Preview might be important on servers or other real-time multiclient systems. But for regular user of Windows... I would opt against it, and pro performance.

Last edited by krtek (2009-02-20 21:25)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#5 2009-02-21 00:42

Both reasons (for / against validation during preview) have their justification and I can even think that I might want to switch depending on the purpose of usage. There are some other options in the preferences of similarly "low" or partly maybe lower importance. So it can as well become a new option in the preferences.

More and more checkbox options can be an endless thing but become actually very useful, see the newsreader Agent 5 as an example. And I still want more options:)

It is also possible to summarize options and simplify them in the preferences like:

- either no confirmation popups or all
- either high speed performance or complete, immediate validation
- either renaming the conflict-free only or rename all with dissolution of all conflicts by means of making temporary copies of files with double names [oh, this might be worth another topic under suggestions]
etc.

#6 2009-02-24 13:54

den4b
Administrator

report wrote:

Does installation of the Beta require deinstallation of the regular ReNamer? Or can they coexist if only one chooses a different path (and under Vista makes a backup of the preferences)?

They can co-exist. They can even reside in the same folder, as long as they have different filenames.

The rest of the points are a bit off the topic, because they are more about debating the current functionality instead testing. I was asking to validate the core functionality, e.g. questions as simple as "does renaming works", "do export / import features work", etc.

Anyway, no real problems were brought up so far - it is a good sign. I am always using the latest dev version myself and haven't noticed anything unusual either.

#7 2009-02-24 15:07

SafetyCar
Website

I haven't had any problems with the beta, but I'd like to make a suggestion.

I have Auto preview on rule change marked, and goes OK, but could be optimized.
When I make a change in a rule that is not marked, it does the preview, but is pointless because as I said the rule is not marked.

(I don't know maybe I should place this on Suggestions hmm)

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#8 2009-02-24 19:07

den4b, when doing the testing of basic functionality, the "off-topic" things were the problems I ran into. I.e., the more basic things do work (as far as I have tested things).

#9 2009-02-25 19:33

krtek

I haven't had any problems so far.
Renaming / Undo operations, Export / Import features and Validation works fine (at least I haven't found any bug).
I have no idea what "Overwrite with new name feature" is intended to do, so I can't say anything about that option..

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#10 2009-02-28 12:46

den4b
Administrator

SafetyCar wrote:

I have Auto preview on rule change marked, and goes OK, but could be optimized.
When I make a change in a rule that is not marked, it does the preview, but is pointless because as I said the rule is not marked.

Good point! I have changed this behaviour in the latest dev version. Now change of unmarked rules will not cause the auto preview to be triggered. This affects all related rules actions, such as: edit, remove, move, duplicate.

SafetyCar wrote:

(I don't know maybe I should place this on Suggestions hmm)

Yes, maybe you should have... wink

Board footer