#11 2007-10-05 12:00

den4b
Administrator

Re: Switching between files/folder mode

I might add this shortcut, in a little while....

Need to decide which keys to use. Ctrl+0..9 are used for presets, Ctrl+F1..F12 sounds a bit dangerous, because they might be used by OS. At the same time, the Filters window has a shortcut Alt+F. If you press it, then change "Add files from folders" to/from "Add folders as files", and then simply press Enter to close the dialog - it's not that long/complicated....

What do you think?

#12 2007-10-08 15:20

Yogui

Hi,

I agree that is not that long and complicated to change Filter settings.

I was going more in the direction of different filter pre-settings that can be loaded or selected.

As a regular user I really hate to do the same thing everyday. I actually get bored, then don't pay attention...till I find I selected the wrong setting. tongue

May be in the Filter Settings menu (or somewhere as an advance feature) we can have a drop down menu to pick the desired filter settings as you already have with presets (with a shortcut)

As I was mentioning 99% of the time I use 3 different settings:

1- Add Files within Folders (including sub folders) which are only *.mp3

2 Add Folders as Files (root folders only)

3 Add Folders as Files (Skip root folders)

Other people may be using other filter settings regularly so I think a way to save the filter settings and assign shortcuts to them will be a great feature that regular users will enjoy.

What about Alt+1,2,3..9 and have the filter settings loaded (no window pop up as with presets)?

I hope not to be too pushy with this feature.

Thanks, Yogui.
FYI:
http://www.keyxl.com seems to be a very comprehensive shortcut collection. wink
Of course MS has http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449
May be many others.

#13 2007-10-10 00:24

den4b
Administrator

There were several suggestions about combining Filters settings with a preset.

In this way, you would only need to load a preset, and filters will be loaded with it.

What do you think about that?

#14 2007-10-10 21:57

Yogui

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the previous Preset and Filters combined settings suggestions. roll

But, it seems a good idea.

I would like to keep an option that neither a Preset nor a Filter will affect the other one.

This is because when I select root folders only I apply one basic preset that I trust in and then I try with other ones that are more specific and I have to preview and check the changes in red. And in all that operation I like to have the same filter settings.

Then in the next step I fix subfolders (excluding root ones) I'll be using the same basic preset and after that the specidic ones. But again keeping the filter settings.

And it all happens again with the mp3s.

Back to the point, I like the idea but I think it would be good to keep it flexible for people who want to use presets without changing the filters and Filters without changing presents. (The Current way)

That was why I was suggesting the Alt+1,2...9 for filter settings. That will make sense with the current Control+1,2,...9 for the presets.

Then the Filters and/or presets can be related and call each other when applyed.

Hope this makes sense. tongue

Cheers, Yogui.

#15 2007-10-12 00:26

den4b
Administrator

To tell you the truth, I really-really-really don't want to add those customizable shortcuts.

It sounds like such a mess for this very little functionality, which is going to be used very rarely (except you).

I look more towards "Alt+F, 1-2 clicks and Enter" idea, sorry... I might reconsider that in the future! smile

#16 2007-10-19 00:40

Yogui

No worries.
Sorry if I was a little pushy.
Thanks.

#17 2007-10-22 12:02

den4b
Administrator

I was thinking... if it is really important for you, I could create a small "personal" release for you, with the shortcuts and filter settings that you want. Just tell me the exact filter presets which you need, and a shortcut for each one of them. smile

#18 2007-10-24 07:47

Yogui

Thanks Denis!

Is not that Critical, I just tought it was a good idea, for heavy users.

Even when sounds tempting I would prefer to stick with your standard version cause I don't wanna have a custom version that with time starts to miss your updates in new versions.

Thanks anyway big_smile
Yogui.
PD: If you wanna explore the idea in a custom version for fun, etc. let me know and I'll go into detail of what would be the scenarions I have in mind. wink

#19 2007-10-26 09:09

den4b
Administrator

Yeah, give it a go... Just to know what you have in mind smile

When you are picking shortcuts, make sure you check out already used shortcuts in all menus.

#20 2007-10-29 03:12

Yogui

Hi,

I went to have a look back on this conversation, I hope I can say something new that will be usefull for other people as well and will not complicate normal use. cool

As you know I use your soft nearly every day fixing Mp3s names.
I've noticed that I use the same preset settings and filter settings many times depending on the scenario.
This scenario does not change but it repites with different Presents and filter settings for the Single Artist, Sound Tracks and Compilation Scenes.

For the Rules Presets settings I have nothing to say and not even to ask for as a request. It does everything I need.
With a shortcut (Control+1...9) I can select the preset and I dont need to deal with a pop up window etc. And reduces my mystakes rate. It just works.

On the other hand, I have to change the filter settings Manually every time I change scenario.

During this conversation the idea to improve speed and reduce mistakes for manual filter settings selection evolve to a concept like:

"Filter Presets working independently to Rules Presets"

As alredy implemented with rules presets, I think it may be usesful to:

1) Define Filter Settings Presets that are most common used
This can be done by the user or "we" can pick the most common used filter settings
A draft for this would be:
     a) Fixing Folders Names
          a1) Fixing ALL Folders and Subfolders
          a2) Fixing Root Folders ONLY
          a3) Fixing Sub Folders ONLY
          a4) OTHERS...

b) Fixing Files Names
          b1) Fixing ALL Files (In Root and Subfolders)
          b2) Fixing Root Folders ONLY
          b3) Fixing Sub Folders ONLY
          b4) OTHERS...

2) Assing Sortcuts for this Filter Presets
Here I was suggesting the Alt+1,2...9 for "Filter Presets".
That works in oposition with the current Control+1,2,...9 for Rules Presets.

Which shortcut does not actually affect the concept wich I think is Slytly different that what you mention previously:
"There were several suggestions about combining Filters settings with a preset."

I would say this is similar that we were talking about before. Trying to put some light I would summarize in:

"Filter Presets that works independently from Rules Presets"

At the end of the day, as currently is with Rules, if someone doesn't like to use Store presets and or ther shortcuts (control+1..9) he/she can write the rules from scratch every time.

Please let me know what you think. smile

Cheers, Yogui.
PD:
If Rules and Filters presets can also be related is going even Further.
"When a rules Preset is called It can apply a Filter Preset already stored" and the other way around.
It could be good, may be making a beta version for the 1st idea
"Filter Presets that works independently from Rules Presets"
and then if proves to be usesfull add the 2nd one:
"Rules and Filter Presets can (optionaly) call each other.

Board footer