#1 2009-06-07 05:21

Yogui

Merge Append Presets Rules

Hi,

I use a few (same) presets quite often, in the same or different order, all or a few of them.

Since that I'm always updating them: roll

Is there any way to merge say 3 presets:

Preset1
Preset2
Preset3

In to i.e.

Preset123
or
Preset213
or
Preset321

to use it as a single preset.

May be the preset manager could have a button to "append preset" to loaded rules

Then the confirmation Message box could include a Checkbox "Update Filter Settings".

In the Preset123 example this will need to be done once to append Preset 2 on to loaded Preset1 and then again to append Preset3 to now loaded Preset12

The result would be Preset123 loaded

Then it can be later saved as a new preset123

Thanks, Yogui. wink

#2 2009-06-07 16:42

SafetyCar
Website

Re: Merge Append Presets Rules

I think a good idea would be a rule where we could select a preset to be applied.

In this case you could order them (the rules that contain the presets) in the way you like, but this would be very useful in other cases too.

roll

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#3 2009-06-08 09:08

krtek

For now, you can do it with notepad. Just copy & paste presets in desired order and then save it as eg. "preset123.rnp".
After that you will get a working preset with a bit mess in numbering of rules in preset code (but that's only for "sense of esthetics" reason). If you want them to be numbered properly you have to load such preset to ReNamer and save it with ReNamer which will fix the numbering.
The one thing I don't know is what is happening with filtering settings saved with preset.

But you're guys right. It should be easier.
I don't get the idea of "rule" for that. It seems to me as a very unpredictable.

For me it would be enough if one could append preset to the already existing set of rules (a new menu position "Append preset" maybe?). A dialog for appending preset should probably handle the case of filtering (left as it was or use the filtering from appended preset).

Last edited by krtek (2009-06-08 09:16)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#4 2009-06-08 13:47

Yogui

Hi,

As per the last two replies I can tell there is some interest from users for this feature. (that was a comment for den4b) tongue

Yes advanced users can edit presets manually, I was about to write a macro in Notepad++ to do it, but should be easier.

looks like either (or both) "preset manager" and "add new rule" dialog boxes are good places for this feature.

preset manager is probably a bit more hidden. roll

The add rule may allow users to insert the preset in the middle of the loaded rules not end nor beginning.

Then after insertion it just becomes a bigger set of rules loaded.

i.e.

User has Rules loaded

Loaded Rule0
Loaded Rule1
Loaded Rule2
Loaded Rule3
Loaded Rule4

User Insert PresetA after loaded rule 2

PresetA Rule0
PresetA Rule1
PresetA Rule2

User has now loaded rules

Loaded Rule0
Loaded Rule1
Loaded Rule2
PresetA Rule0
PresetA Rule1
PresetA Rule2

Loaded Rule3
Loaded Rule4

New rules numbers has to be updated to all rules (after insertion point)

a preset is more a group of rules...

Then later on a group of presets rules can be loaded, which reads the rules inside those presets.

That will allow users (specially me tongue) to have a "clean up" (or any other) rule at the beginning, middle and/or end of the rules set.

Having different presets for specific proposes (which are maintained/improved individually) and can be used/loaded quickly and easily sound a good feature.

den4b, would you consider to add this or similar functionality?

Cheers, Yogui.

#5 2009-08-11 00:50

den4b
Administrator

Good news! Another topic has revoked this suggestion, and I have decided to implement it. This feature is available in the latest development version: "Append" option from the Presets Manger! smile

#6 2009-08-11 09:16

krtek

Great!
Thanks Denis.
It should be really helpful.

One more question: is there any way to move more than one rule at the time? I'm thinking about quick moving the loaded preset to the right spot.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#7 2009-08-11 10:04

SafetyCar
Website

mmmmm... looks very nice

But when pressing append, the program thinks that it is on the last preset you had appended, I would turn this off. I think is better to keep the name of the preset you where editing. (Another reason to do this is because, it doesn't recognize that there are changes in the preset (the * on the status bar doesn't appear))

It's hard for me to explain it, if you don't understand I'll try to explain it in other way. hmm

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#8 2009-08-11 12:50

krtek

Yeah, I think you're right SafetyCar.
I would see this that way...
If any preset were load earlier the name after appending should stay the same as previous but with *.
If the rules table were empty, the name might be changed to the name of appended preset.
If there were rules in the rules table, but no preset name and a preset is appended, I think there still should be no name for the created set of rules until user chooses to save preset.
What do you think, guys?

Board footer