#1 2009-10-18 15:42

Edwardo

Seeking some help for the following two ideas/suggestions

Hi there.

First off, thanks for the great shutter app.

Two things I wanted to suggest and comment on.

I would dearly love to find a utility that will shutoff the monitor when I chat away on Skype. A new utility that shuts off the screen, takes into account Skype is being used, and can either turn the monitor back on via a mouse movement, a key movement, or a certain key movement.  Actually maybe all those 3 options could be included. The problem I've come across is that after using several utilties (Wizmo, NirCmd) etc., they only work for a few seconds then turn the monitor back on, or go into a death loop of the monitor cycling on and off endlessly. It seems like such a simple thing to do, but Skype is messing things up with any and all screen shutoff programs I have used.

The other suggestion which I've been wanting something that does this for years on end. I would like a utility that will show me the volume information, or volume descriptor info from a cd, cdr, cdrw, dvdrw etc. This is the Publisher, Application, Preparer, Abstract, Bibliography etc. information present on each burnt disc.

This is useful for working out what program was used to burn a cd. And being that I'm sure many people as well as myself have burnt cds going back many years, it would be great to see this info. Now just about all burning programs, at least Roxio and Nero, show you this info when you are building a project to burn. But after you have burnt a disc, the only utilities I have been able to locate are a few Linux command line tools, and some old outdated programs from InfinaDyne, who make CD/DVD inspector etc. It seems like such a simple tool to create, yet I've come up empty.

As far as the interface goes, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the busTRACE program, but on http://www.bustrace.com/downloads/free_utilities.htm, there are some nice free utilities like (Filter Driver Load Order, Windows XP CD Recorder Properties, CD/DVD Device Capabilities Viewer). Most of them have a nice clean interface, and I've always imagined being able to click on a small .exe and then see the volume description ID info in those kinds of layouts.

Again thanks for your excellent programs.

Many Regards
Ed

#2 2009-10-18 16:07

Andrew

Re: Seeking some help for the following two ideas/suggestions

Welcome Edwardo! Your first request might be something Denis can possibly look into as an enhancement for Shutter, but your second request seems to be for a whole new utility by itself. Not sure if Denis has the time for it, but until he does, maybe this will suffice:

1) Start MagicISO after you pop in your CD/DVD
2) File menu > Open CD/DVD Drive > Select appropriate drive
3) File menu > Properties > Label tab

This is what is shown for one of my DVDs:

30ljejd.png

Does that help?

Last edited by Andrew (2009-10-18 16:08)

#3 2009-11-01 11:55

Edwardo

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your reply. I'll give MagicISO a go as it looks quite promising.

As far as the screen blanker for Skype, still havn't been able to find anything. I use Skype on my laptop, and often and night, so like to turn off the screen to avoid the glare. I've tried many programs that turn off the screen, but 5-10secs later it comes right back on. Oddly, the "Blank" screen saver works in Windows, so it's not an issue of the mouse being moved etc., but rather something in Skype that is blocking or interring with being able to have the screen in power save mode. I'm sure Denis is busy, but if he ever does get a chance to look at this, I can compile a list of all the screen blanking programs I have tried so far.

#4 2009-11-03 15:01

Andrew

Edwardo, do check if Skype has an option to prevent system standby while running and if so, turn it off and check. It might have such an option enabled by default to prevent dropped calls etc. Also ensure you aren't leaving any media player runing, 'cos most have a similar option available and turned on by default.

If nothing else works, instead of trying to find a work-around, why not tackle the issue at its root and mail the Skype team or post in their forum? I'm sure others might have encountered the same issue as you, so maybe someone's even posted a fix there.

Board footer