#1 2009-11-04 07:17

seto1948

Looking for Greek Translit

I have a huge number of Greek MP3's with Greek file names.
I would like to transliterate these file names into English (Latin).

Does anybody have a Greek Translit for ReNamer that you would be willing to share?

Or, do you know where I can go to pick up a Greek Translit table (ala ReNamer Rule) on the internet?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Seto

#2 2009-11-04 12:19

eR@SeR

Re: Looking for Greek Translit

Believe me or not I was thinking about to create Greek translit several days ago but I thought that I might make a mistake so I quit that intention big_smile
Here is Romanization_of_Greek on wikipedia. If someone speaks Greek it will be good to create translit for ReNamer or you can try to create it and share with us (using code option in forum). Cheers wink

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#3 2009-11-05 06:50

seto1948

Re: Looking for Greek Translit

eR@SeR,

I believe you! I believe you!  big_smile

Just so you know - I am not Greek, however I speak and read/write some Greek (definitely not fluent), and I know the alphabet.  But I am not a Greek linguist and have no clue about Diacritics (whatever those are!) or anything else.

The last 2 weeks I have been searching the internet and doing a lot of reading, including the wikipedia article you mentioned and many others, with the intention of coming up with a Translit rule myself. My conclusion:
- Very complicated!
- Leave it to the experts
- Look for the work of an expert next

But I could not find the work of an expert either. In the end, I came up with some straightforward Replace rules that I could plug into ReNamer and they actually work fairly well for me. If anybody is interested, my Replace rules are below.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The order of the Replace rules is important!

And one final note: One can question why I did not put the same character-to-character equivalence into a Translit rule. I toyed with this a little, but due to time constraints I gave it up because the Translit-eration function implies a lot more that I know nothing about. On the other hand, I have full control over the straightforward Replace function.

Seto

Rule 1
  Find:    αυ*|*ευ*|*ηυ*|*ου*|*Αυ*|*Ευ*|*Ηυ*|*Ου*|*ΑΥ*|*ΕΥ*|*ΗΥ*|*ΟΥ
  Replace: au*|*eu*|*hu*|*ou*|*Au*|*Eu*|*Hu*|*Ou*|*AU*|*EU*|*HU*|*OU

Rule 2
  Find:    γγ*|*γξ*|*γκ*|*γχ*|*μπ*|*ντ*|*Γγ*|*Γξ*|*Γκ*|*Γχ*|*Μπ*|*Ντ*|*ΓΓ*|*ΓΞ*|*ΓΚ*|*ΓΧ*|*ΜΠ*|*ΝΤ
  Replace: ng*|*nx*|*gk*|*nch*|*mb*|*nt*|*Ng*|*Nx*|*Gk*|*Nch*|*Mb*|*Nt*|*NG*|*NX*|*GK*|*NCH*|*MB*|*NT

Rule 3
  Find:    αύ*|*εύ*|*ηύ*|*ού*|*Αύ*|*Εύ*|*Ηύ*|*Ού
  Replace: av*|*ev*|*iv*|*ou*|*Av*|*Ev*|*Iv*|*Ou

Rule 4
  Find:    α*|*β*|*γ*|*δ*|*ε*|*ζ*|*η*|*θ*|*ι*|*κ*|*λ*|*μ*|*ν*|*ξ*|*ο*|*π*|*ρ*|*σ*|*ς*|*τ*|*υ*|*φ*|*χ*|*ψ*|*ω
  Replace: a*|*v*|*g*|*d*|*e*|*z*|*i*|*th*|*i*|*k*|*l*|*m*|*n*|*x*|*o*|*p*|*r*|*s*|*s*|*t*|*y*|*f*|*ch*|*ps*|*o

Rule 5
  Find:    Α*|*Β*|*Γ*|*Δ*|*Ε*|*Ζ*|*Η*|*Θ*|*Ι*|*Κ*|*Λ*|*Μ*|*Ν*|*Ξ*|*Ο*|*Π*|*Ρ*|*Σ*|*Τ*|*Υ*|*Φ*|*Χ*|*Ψ*|*Ω
  Replace: A*|*V*|*G*|*D*|*E*|*Z*|*I*|*TH*|*I*|*K*|*L*|*M*|*N*|*X*|*O*|*P*|*R*|*S*|*T*|*Y*|*F*|*CH*|*PS*|*O

Rule 6
  Find:    ά*|*έ*|*ή*|*ί*|*ό*|*ώ*|*ύ*|*Ά*|*Έ*|*Ή*|*Ί*|*Ό*|*Ώ*|*Ύ
  Replace: a*|*e*|*i*|*i*|*o*|*o*|*y*|*A*|*E*|*I*|*I*|*O*|*O*|*Y

Rule 7
  Find:    ϊ*|*Ϊ*|*ΐ*|*΄*|*‘
  Replace: i*|*I*|*i*|*'*|*'

Board footer