#1 2010-01-30 12:34

SafetyCar
Website

More interactive dialogs for pascal?

I don't know if it's possible, but some times I have thought that a combo box in pascal could be very useful combined with a TStringsArray roll

something like function WideComboBox(Question: WideString, Input: TStringsArray):WideString;

comboboxexample.png

Last edited by SafetyCar (2010-01-30 12:34)

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#2 2010-01-30 21:15

Andrew

Re: More interactive dialogs for pascal?

You mean you want IntelliSense for PascalScript, just like in Visual Studio? While it would be awesome, even if Denis can implement this (maybe not as he's using a 3rd party PS component), I don't really see this happening anytime soon.

#3 2010-01-30 21:26

prologician

I'm reading this suggestion a bit differently than you are, Andrew.... I don't know if this is what SafetyCar is going after, but I'll try to formulate it.

Sometimes, in a script execution, you want "some" user input (more than the command DialogYesNo() ), but don't have the need for a full-out input box like the command InputBox(). I'm interpreting SafetyCar's suggestion as kinda a middle ground... a fixed number of choices, offered by the combo box, contained within a dialog which appears on the screen.

Even with this interpretation, I agree with Andrew's end result, though. I don't think it'll happen soon... in part, because it's not something under Denis's control. The folks who develop PascalScript are likely the ones you need to ask, to get this feature implemented.

#4 2010-01-31 13:56

Andrew

On reading the original post again, you might be right prologician. However, besides the reasons mentioned above, another thing to keep in mind is that the PS component is an embeddable one. It doesn't really deal with UI elements in any way, other than alert/confirmation/input dialogs, which are all standalone UI controls in any case. A combo box though can't exist by itself and needs to be part of another UI control, such as a window/frame etc. If that can be done, then why stop at a combo box? Why not have every common Windows control available? But all this would imply creating a whole new UI editor for PS which just doesn't make sense. After all, if all those language features are required to create rich Windows apps, one might just as well use Delphi, right?

#5 2010-01-31 15:39

SafetyCar
Website

Well I didn't explain it very well,

I'll put an example...

- We have an array with this 3 things: "asdf / qwer / xcvb"
- In a dialog box, similar the inputbox, instead of the input box, the drop-down menu with this 3 elements to choose
- And be able to write any other thing if in the list is not what I want
- So once I choose and accept the function will give as output the string I decided

But is just a suggestion, I don't know how difficult it can be, or if it's possible.

#6 2010-02-02 10:35

prologician

Well, no, I do see a purpose for it....

One example of where you see something like this would be in an installer. The first window that pops up is likely something which asks "Select your language," contained within a proper dialog box. And you pick whatever language from the list. It's a fixed list, because there's only a few languages that the installer supports. But more than that, it removes the need for the user to type in an answer (which can obviously be misspelled... and then you need some handler to deal with an incorrect language in that case).

It still boils down to the same issue, though... if it's to be implemented, it probably needs to be done at the PascalScript level. It might be best to direct this question towards them.

#7 2010-02-02 15:28

SafetyCar
Website

prologician wrote:

if it's to be implemented, it probably needs to be done at the PascalScript level. It might be best to direct this question towards them.

Oh, I wasn't understanding that the pascal script is independent from renamer...

Well, doesn't mind, was a small suggestion, interesting, but not necessary.

Board footer