#1 2019-06-15 11:11

mikeysoft

feature request: local HTTP port monitoring

Hi, firstly thanks for this great tool.

I use this to be able to remotely reboot a CCTV server (at home) that periodically crashes, and which is only fixable by restarting the machine (restarting the software doesn't work).

Currently I monitor for HTTP on a port using an external monitoring service (uptimedoctor), and when I get a notification that the port is no longer serving HTTP, I use shutter's web interface to reboot the machine (I'm often away from home so using Remote Desktop isn't so convenient - shutter web interface on my phone is).

Ideally, I'd like Shutter to have a HTTP monitoring (on a local port) function, so it could automatically reboot the machine!

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mikeysoft (2019-06-15 11:12)

#2 2019-06-16 13:06

den4b
Administrator

Re: feature request: local HTTP port monitoring

Yes, this feature can be added to Shutter.

Are you interested in checking that a particular port on a particular host is accepting connections, regardless of the of the higher level protocol like HTTP, FTP, etc?

Or you are interesting specifically in receiving a valid HTTP response, e.g. HTTP 200 OK status code?

#3 2019-06-16 13:44

mikeysoft

Re: feature request: local HTTP port monitoring

Hi, wow, that would be amazing!

Either - whichever you think would be most flexible and useful for other users...

I could've selected a TCP port check rather than an HTTP check at uptimedoctor, as I don't need to get a 200 status code - it's a simple alive/dead on the server behind the port that I'm after (accepting connections). I'm sure some people would find a 200..299 status code useful though!

Thanks again!

Board footer