#1 2008-01-11 07:59

Los Loco Lobo

What for is "Analyze Sample Text"?

I believe that I understand what the Analyze Name is to do but darned if I can get it to do anything. 

I use Renamer to rename ebook files and I have over 300 rules and some are very close. 

Is it supposed to show what rules where used to generate the new name?

It looks like it shows rules that may apply - if so then it is of little use to me.

Thank you .

#2 2008-01-11 17:14

Stefan

Re: What for is "Analyze Sample Text"?

With "Analyze" you can do two things:

1) select an name part (in the Analyze window) an see the amount of selected chars including start/end point.

2)  The Analyze window show you your new file name after applying all selected rules.
.    You may de-select one or another rule to see what happens.

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2008-01-16 13:24

den4b
Administrator

All of the above, and it also lets you apply rules on any text. You can paste a whole document into it, and apply ReNamer's rules for that text. For example, I use it all the time to quickly convert some long "UPPER CASE CAPTIONS" to "Capitalized Captions".

#4 2008-01-16 21:32

Stefan

den4b wrote:

..., and it also lets you apply rules on any text.
You can paste a whole document into it,
and apply ReNamer's rules for that text.

Really ? O,O

Cool tongue wink

Feature request for the next long rainy weekend.
1. If it is possible make the Analyze window non-modal, so i can dis-/enable Rules at easy while the window is open.
2. Let us start the Analyze window without adding an file first. EDIT: i found this feature in options cool And "apply to clipboard" i have to try also tongue
This wish has very low prio, please.  Just if you got some time in the next months. It's only an idea.
Or are you against this option? Don't make extra work if you don't want.

If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2008-01-19 14:01

den4b
Administrator

Stefan wrote:

If it is possible make the Analyze window non-modal, so i can dis-/enable Rules at easy while the window is open.

Done big_smile   .... ReNamerBeta.zip

#6 2008-01-19 20:52

Stefan

Many thanks, Denis.

Works fine:

ReNamer-Analyze(2008-01-19).png

Just some suggestions (no real wishes right now) for Analyze window "Test after applying rules"
1.) Shouldn't this call "Text after..." instead of "Test after..." ???
2.) Shouldn't there be an option to apply the rules for every single item (a.k.a. line), too? Instead of beginning and end of hole text only in this case showed. (f.ex. => "[x] Treat every line separately")
3.) Wouldn't it  be nice if the checked option "[x] Automatically apply rules....." works for de-/checking rules too?
4.) "[x] Create 'UserInput'-Rule from "Text after" window" roll (1. apply rules > 2. modify by hand > 3. create UserInput rule (or treat as NewName directly) )
ahh, and 5.) Analyze ALL selected files (right now i copy 'NewName' to clipboard and paste it then into Analyze window)

You know, i just playing around with ideas. I don't wanna push you. I know your time is limited.

But it's fun to work with gems like this fine tool!

#7 2008-01-20 23:45

den4b
Administrator

1) Shouldn't this call "Text after..." instead of "Test after..." ???
Upss, a little typo roll

2) Shouldn't there be an option to apply the rules for every single item (a.k.a. line), too?
Added as "apply rules for each line" option in the Analyze dialog.

3) Wouldn't it be nice if the checked option "[x] Automatically apply rules....." works for de-/checking rules too?
Yes, it would be nice. Implemented big_smile

4) "[x] Create 'UserInput'-Rule from "Text after" window"
Hmmm.... No, it's not future proof. I'm afraid you'll just have to do that copy/paste operation.

5) Analyze ALL selected files
Done, just select multiple files and click "Analyze Name" smile

P.S. If you keep coming up with so many suggestions, soon, there will be nothing left to suggest wink

#8 2008-01-21 21:10

Stefan

Works fine, thank you.
And BTW, don't be afraid that i lose my Inspiration big_smile

The most ideas i never post because i know there are at least work arounds ...., or they are to complicated, ....  or,... and you say you have less time.

But a few (sic) ideas - from them i mean that they are from interest for many users and are able to improve ReNamer and make it even better...
... i have to post so you can decide which from them you want to implement.

Just say stop!  if you get enough roll tongue big_smile

#9 2008-01-21 23:48

den4b
Administrator

I appreciate your ideas, and your will to help improve ReNamer smile

I really consider every single suggestion. I try to implement as many ideas as possible (if I can), unless they contradict with my view on this software. And even if some ideas do contradict with my views, sometimes I have to implement them because I see their potential importance to the large group of users.

But sometimes, when I implement new suggestions - I feel that it pushes some users to come up with more and more suggestions, moving away from the route of importance and feasibility. That's were it starts to get nasty. I don't like saying "no", but sometimes I have to, giving as much explanation as possible. Still, in some case, this "no" is accepted offensively.

Anyway, that's completely off the topic now. I think you understand all that without me saying more.

I wouldn't want to let down your inspiration roll

Board footer