#1 2008-06-08 13:43

krtek

Lowercase extention and only extention

Hi, Denis!
I came up with the little thing, that I can resolve with PascalScript, but I think it could be good for most of users to have it in Case rule.
What would you say about adding one more option to the case rule: "Leave as it is" (or "Do not change", or anything similar) which would give us the possibility of using related options ("Extention always lowercase" in particular) without changing the base filename case?
Now to use "Extention always lowercase" you need to tick one of the predefined case options, so you can't lowercase extention by its own (at least if you can't use PascalScript tongue ).

Konrad

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#2 2008-06-08 23:09

eR@SeR

Re: Lowercase extention and only extention

Now to use "Extention always lowercase" you need to tick one of the predefined case options, so you can't lowercase extention by its own

No Krtek, you have to double click in one of the selected case points to disable it.
Look at the picture.

casezq8.th.jpg

Last edited by eR@SeR (2008-06-08 23:10)

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#3 2008-06-09 07:18

krtek

big_smile
Thanks, eR@SeR!
Sometimes the simplest things are hardest to find...

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#4 2008-06-09 16:52

Andrew

20foj1c.jpg

Actually, in the above instance the double-click function is not exactly mentioned clearly anywhere, is it?

I'd like to make a suggestion here to simplify matters... Why not remove the separate "Extension always lower case" checkbox, and instead have two checkboxes titled "Skip filename" and "Skip extension"? That way, if any one is checked, then only the other part is affected, else if both aren't checked, then both parts are affected. (If both are checked then obviously an error should be shown that the rule selected is useless.) What do you all think?

Last edited by Andrew (2008-06-09 17:37)

#5 2008-06-09 17:52

krtek

I think it's ok, like it is.
Current version gives you all possible case control in one rule.
In yours version, Andrew, if you wish to set case for filename AND lowercase extention you will need two separate rules. And as most of the times you want extention to be lowercased, you finish up with two rules for almost every case changing situation...

The only thing is lack of documentation/intuitivity. I clicked on the "dots" not once trying to desactivate them... but always singletime, not double big_smile

#6 2008-06-09 19:48

eR@SeR

No welcome big_smile

Sometimes the simplest things are hardest to find...

It happens...

Actually, in the above instance the double-click function is not exactly mentioned clearly anywhere, is it?

True. Sorry for obscurity, if there was any. Anyway, you have to manage yourself. I think it wasn't too hard to find the clue for this image?

Agree with Krtek.

I clicked on the "dots" not once trying to desactivate them... but always singletime, not double

Ok, ok, is it matter if one or two. You are trying to be perfectionists, I see hmmroll

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#7 2008-06-10 16:55

Andrew

krtek wrote:

In yours version, Andrew, if you wish to set case for filename AND lowercase extention you will need two separate rules. And as most of the times you want extention to be lowercased, you finish up with two rules for almost every case changing situation...

Actually krtek and eR@SeR, it seems you've not read or understood my suggestion properly, for it would not require two rules but only one.

Let me make the different scenarios as clear as possible:

The Case rule will have two checkboxes titled "Skip filename" and "Skip extension".

1) Now, if you want to rename both parts, then don't select both checkboxes and add the rule.

2) If you want to rename only the filename, then select only the checkbox titled "Skip extension" and add the rule.

3) If you want to rename only the extension, then select only the checkbox titled "Skip filename" and add the rule.

4) Finally, if you select both checkboxes to "Skip filename" and "Skip extension", then obviously the rule will be useless (as it will have no effect at all) and so ReNamer will show an error when you try to add the rule.

I hope that makes it clear? My suggestion will make it extremely intuitive and easy for even a new user, who can otherwise never (or with great difficulty) figure out the double-click trick. Double-click behaviour on radio buttons is anyway non-standard and so no-one expects an application to work that way. So good UI design always says make choices explicit for the user to remove even the remote chance of confusion.

#8 2008-06-10 17:43

krtek

That's exactly how I understood you smile
But IMO the most common situation of using the Case Rule is setting a case for filename (eg. Capitalize every word) AND lowercase the extention.
eg.: "my OLD ugly fIlENAME.TXT" to "My Old Ugly Filename.txt"
Your version needs two rules as you need two different case settings for filename and extention.
If you leave both your checkboxes unselected, you'll get "My Old Ugly Filename.Txt" and that's not what you wanted...

Andrew wrote:

My suggestion will make it extremely intuitive and easy for even a new user, who can otherwise never (or with great difficulty) figure out the double-click trick.

I can't agree that it would be more intuitive. In my opinion the dialog for Case Rule is constructed really well (if not perfect). And the "extention always lowercase" checkbox has one more very important feature apart of doing its job - it reminds you that extention in most cases should be lowercased. (It's like a sign "Now wash your hands" in toilets in food premises big_smile )

Andrew wrote:

Double-click behaviour on radio buttons is anyway non-standard and so no-one expects an application to work that way.

And maybe that's the clue for that suggestion, maybe it should work on single clicks. You click - it goes on. You click - it goes off.
Or maybe the default state of Case Rule should be nothing selected for filename  and  "extention always lowercase" selected. Then you at least know that this variant is possible, and you will try harder to find out how to operate with these radio buttons (if you still won't be able to find out that double-click does the trick, you will have the possibility to delete rule and start again with lowercasing extention and only extention).
But that's up to Denis big_smile

Last edited by krtek (2008-06-10 18:14)

#9 2008-06-10 20:31

Andrew

krtek wrote:

Your version needs two rules as you need two different case settings for filename and extention.
If you leave both your checkboxes unselected, you'll get "My Old Ugly Filename.Txt" and that's not what you wanted...

Ah! I understand now what you wanted to say. You were absolutely right - it would require two rules to do what you wanted. hmm

krtek wrote:

And the "extention always lowercase" checkbox has one more very important feature apart of doing its job - it reminds you that extention in most cases should be lowercased. (It's like a sign "Now wash your hands" in toilets in food premises big_smile )

Well, the extension in most cases is lowercase, but whether it should be lowercase is for the user to decide. Ideally IMO, the user should be able to use the dialog in order to independently select what case changes (s)he wants to make to the filename and/or the extension.

Thus I present for your viewing pleasure big_smile (and Denis' kind consideration), the following application mock-up:

6fxmhg.png

Given this layout of options, the user can easily change the case of either the filename, or the extension, or both. All in one single, easy to understand dialog that will lead to only one rule! What do you guys think? cool

Last edited by Andrew (2008-06-10 20:34)

#10 2008-06-10 20:54

krtek

I have never had even thought about that I would need to do fancy things with case of extention. And I don't think it's worth rearranging the dialog.
For me, that's the situation when I won't mind using two Case rules. Because it's extremally rarely.
You don't need a shortcut on your desktop to every application you have. If you do, you got messy and unusable desktop.
But having shortcuts for apps you use most of the time is a real timesaver.

The idea with combo boxes seems better for me than "skip filename" one.
But I still don't feel that.
I like the design of ReNamer. Because of its simplicity and because everything is visible. That's the advantage of radio buttons over combo boxes.
And I still think that if anything should be changed, it should be addition of intuitivity to the existing dialog design.
So I'm still against rearranging the dialog.
But doing something with that "double-click" hidden trick would be nice. Not for me, cause I already know the trick tongue . But for those, who might ever wonder how to do that.

Board footer