#11 2008-06-10 21:38

Andrew

Re: Lowercase extention and only extention

krtek wrote:

And I don't think it's worth rearranging the dialog.

I like the design of ReNamer. Because of its simplicity and because everything is visible. That's the advantage of radio buttons over combo boxes.

Actually, while I understand your reluctance to move to a new design (provided Denis approves it of course!), there's one major flaw in the existing design - What if one wants to skip the filename and apply any of the case rules to only the extension? It can't be done currently! Why assume that extensions can only be lowercase? Let the user decide, I always say... and my design allows that.

Actually, since you want so badly to see all the options without even opening the combo-box, how about a single select list box instead?

Something like in the Notepad font dialog:

2qi4fvd.png

Put two of those list boxes for filename and extension in place of the drop-down combo-boxes in my previous design, and voila! We have yet another new design that solves both your problem and mine! big_smile

krtek wrote:

But doing something with that "double-click" hidden trick would be nice. Not for me, cause I already know the trick tongue . But for those, who might ever wonder how to do that.

Exactly. That's why I'm keeping a new user in mind and working on coming up with an easy but powerful design.

So tell me, does the latest compromise design work for you or do you have any issues with it as well? I want to come up with something that will do the work and appeal to both old and new users alike, so that we can recommend it to Denis for the next version.

#12 2008-06-10 22:25

krtek

Andrew wrote:

What if one wants to skip the filename and apply any of the case rules to only the extension?

I admit that you can't do that without PascalScript at the moment. But I wonder how likely it is to happen, that someone would need that...
I can agree, that it's best to let user choose, but sometimes result is not worth effort.

For me, it would be enough to change "double-click" behaviour into "single-click" one, or making default no-case-config-selected instead of "First letter capital" as it is now.

But maybe Denis will like your idea more.
Or maybe he'll dislike them all big_smile

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#13 2008-06-11 07:25

Andrew

Yes, finally it is up to Denis to respond here whenever he gets the time... Though I certainly hope that he incorporates some of the ideas mentioned in order to put more power into the user's hands. Just because some people don't use a feature and can't see a use for it is never a good enough reason IMO to not implement it for the rest. smile

#14 2008-06-12 13:19

eR@SeR

I have never had even thought about that I would need to do fancy things with case of extention. And I don't think it's worth rearranging the dialog.
For me, that's the situation when I won't mind using two Case rules. Because it's extremally rarely.

Totally agree. I use Capitalize Every Word, and First letter capital. When needed, it's checked Extension always lower case, mostly for taken pictures. As krtek already said, extension "should" be always lowercased (my opinion), but some programs offer Uppercased extensions like winamp in ripping etc.

No need for redesigning Case dialog because it's OK for me, specified what I use mostly.

But I'm not against Andrew's Notepad dialog example suggestion. It gives you possibility to do whatever you like with filename or extension (related for other users). I'm always for upgrading ReNamer and it's functionalities smile

Only one objection/suggestion would be that auto-select on Capitalize Every Word should be unchecked (if Denis give negative reply for new look of Case dialog). It was confusing to me also, but when you think that you can try to one/double click on that first dot...

Anyway, it's up to Denis to decide what should be done roll

P.S. My internet connection was disabled from 6th june, so I'm using dial-up which have a little remaining provider time :'( I have to use other PC's (have ADSL) till I solve that issue... When I get ADSL again I'll could follow your posts and give answers smile

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#15 2008-06-12 16:41

Andrew

eR@SeR wrote:

No need for redesigning Case dialog because it's OK for me, specified what I use mostly.

But I'm not against Andrew's Notepad dialog example suggestion. It gives you possibility to do whatever you like with filename or extension (related for other users). I'm always for upgrading ReNamer and it's functionalities smile

eR@SeR, that's what was uppermost on my mind when I was trying to redesign the dialog - existing users like you and krtek who'd like to keep the dialog as-is should be completely comfortable with the following design (default options are shown selected):

pyqs5.jpg

For you guys, the dialog should require no adjustments at all as your favourite extension option tongue is the default choice and all you'll need to do is specify the filename option you want.

But what's most important is that those who want to change the case of their file extensions now can! cool

Thus everyone's happy and as eR@SeR said, it only serves to improve ReNamer's functionality and make it even better than it already is, with no loss or compromise that I can see! big_smile

krtek, I don't think you should still have a problem with the design shown above, do you? sxg6rq.gif

for(Denis)
{
    when(read_this_post)
    {
        if((time_to_spare) && (approve_of_new_design))
            kindly_implement_new_design();
    }
}

wink smile

Last edited by Andrew (2008-06-12 16:43)

#16 2008-06-21 15:11

den4b
Administrator

First of all, I am very glad to see you all actively interacting, making reasonable arguments regarding these features! big_smile

I was watching this topic all a long, and kept silently thinking about it. I think Andrew's suggestion regarding completely redesigning Case dialog is a bit of overkill. I would say that very few users would ever bother changing the case of the extension, and defiantly even fewer who would want to make extension "First letter capital", etc. I see two problems with new design: it makes entire dialog a lot bigger in expanded version or most options hidden in collapsed version, and giving ordinary/novice users too many options can confuse them more than it would help them.

Nevertheless, I agree that "double click to deselect" is a very hidden feature and isn't properly documented anywhere. I decided to add an additional radio button called "none of the above", and to correct the misspelled "separated" tongue (thanks for pointing it out).  At the end of the day, if even 1 out of 100 users decides to make fancy case changes to the extension, there is always PascalScript to fulfil his needs, bearing in mind that 99 of 100 users would spend less time thinking about and looking over the extended case options.

P.S. I've updated the Beta version.

renamercasenoneofabovefr9.gif

#17 2008-06-21 18:22

krtek

Thanks! big_smile

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#18 2008-06-21 19:01

Stefan

den4b wrote:

I decided to add an additional radio button called "none of the above"

Sorry, just an idea, shouldn't this new button be labeled with "Don't change"  or "Keep case"?

BTW i'd like to remember to an workaround for case changing, maybe this is from interest for some users too?:
http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358

Thanks again Denis!

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#19 2008-06-22 15:37

Andrew

Stefan wrote:

Sorry, just an idea, shouldn't this new button be labeled with "Don't change" or "Keep case"?

Oh well, guess PascalScript it is for renaming the extension's case! wink Thanks anyway for considering the option, Denis! smile

BTW, I agree with Stefan here: The new option would look better if it was named "Don't change case" or, to maintain compatibility with the extension, "Skip filename" (latter would be better IMO).

Even the "skip extension" would look better as "Skip extension".

#20 2008-06-25 18:55

den4b
Administrator

Stefan wrote:

Sorry, just an idea, shouldn't this new button be labelled with "Don't change"  or "Keep case"?

I actually wrote "do not change case" first, but than changed it to "(none of the above)". You see, using "do not change case" will be misleading because other options such as "extension always lower case" will sill change the case. That is why I named it "(none of the above)", as it carries the true meaning.

Andrew wrote:

Even the "skip extension" would look better as "Skip extension".

If you look at other rules, you'll find that all "skip extension" options are written in the same way. I think that they are the continuation of the preceding options, and as a continuation (like in a sentence) - they don't need to be capitalized.

Board footer