#1 2008-07-11 21:41

SafetyCar
Website

Shell option > Open Directory

Hi

Well, I think that the title of explains all, it's an option that opens the folder where the file is located. Some programs do it in a way that the file appear selected when the folder is opened (for example Windows Media Player 11), but I don't know if this would be very difficult.

I could be something like this:
shelloptionxw0.png

I searched in the forum an I didn't found anything about this suggestion. roll

Anyway, if it couldn't be, thanks for such an useful program. tongue

EDITED:

Ow!! I was going to say that this might be helpful when importing lists of files, or if you just closed de folder accidentally.

And while I was writing, one thing come to my mind. What about:"Are you sure you want to quit ReNamer?" should be optional, checking it on the settings. (I respect if you see it useless)

Last edited by SafetyCar (2008-07-12 14:42)

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#2 2008-07-25 04:50

Yogui

Re: Shell option > Open Directory

Hi,

I was thinking about the same explore feature.

And shortcut Say Control+e (e for explore) or similar would be nice as well.

If u use windows explorer here is the info to invoke it with the file selected (which I think is a nice feature).

Explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\calc.exe

(I won't use the dual panel view (folders tree on the left) because Its slow and is not always needed)

Cheers, Yogui.

--------------------------

Invoking Windows File Explorer
Windows Explorer can be invoked (called, started) with parameters to get a specific view.
Syntax
explorer [/n] [/e,] [/root,object,][[/select],sub-object,]
Strangely enough a final comma is required (at least in some cases – not known in which ones)!
Parameters
/n    Opens a window in single-paned (My-computer) view for each selected item, even if the new window duplicated a window that is already open. This is the default view.
/e    Uses Windows Explorer view, which is most similar to File Manager view (Windows 3.x).
/root,object    Specifies the root level of the specified view. Default is to use the normal namespace root (desktop = my computer), whatever is specified for the root for the display.
/select    If /select is used, the parent folder is opened and the specified object is selected.
Examples
Display (explorer mode) drive D only    Explorer.exe /e, /root, d:\
Display (explorer mode) the start menu programs    Explorer.exe /e, /root, "f:\Win_95\Start Menu\Programs"
Diplay (single paned view) the c:windows folder and select calc.exe    Explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\calc.exe
Display single pane view with drive m selected    Explorer.exe /e, /select, "m:\"

#3 2008-07-25 11:56

SafetyCar
Website

Denis has just implemented the option on the beta version. But it hasn't any shorcut

Mmm... continuing with the trends of the other shortcuts it could be...   Alt Gr + Enter (same as Ctrl + Alt + Enter) ?? hmm

And of course, lots of thanks for listening the suggestion

#4 2008-07-25 12:36

eR@SeR

Denis has just implemented the option on the beta version. But it hasn't any shorcut

Mmm... continuing with the trends of the other shortcuts it could be...   Alt Gr + Enter (same as Ctrl + Alt + Enter) ??

You can post your suggestion of any shortcut in this topic, too. Thanks wink ReNamer: Shortcuts

And of course, lots of thanks for listening the suggestion

Good one suggestion... Let's make ReNamer even better cool

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#5 2008-07-30 21:17

SafetyCar
Website

I'm sorry if this is causing you some headeaches but I feel on the obligation of saying this.

It's about the last key-shortcut to this feature "Ctrl + Shift + Enter". Well being fair, is not a problem of your software, it's from windows.
When you enter to a folder that is opened in thumbnail view, if you hold Shift while opening, the names are hidden. Repeating it they are restored

image3rb9.jpg

I thought you had to know it

Sorry roll roll

#6 2008-07-31 16:28

den4b
Administrator

Thanks for reporting this, SafetyCar!

I can't actually reproduce this behaviour on my XP SP2. Maybe it is only Vista thing?

Can anyone else confirm this? And, any alternatives for the shortcut?...

#7 2008-07-31 17:06

SafetyCar
Website

den4b wrote:

I can't actually reproduce this behaviour on my XP SP2. Maybe it is only Vista thing?

I'm on Win XP SP3 (just with a skin), but since I remember this feature from a lot of time ago, even with SP2 (maybe before)

den4b wrote:

Can anyone else confirm this? And, any alternatives for the shortcut?...

I don't know if you'll like this, but... I thought that the option of opening the file, could be just with Enter, and it would leave the Ctrl + Enter free to use for this

#8 2008-07-31 17:55

den4b
Administrator

I might have pressed it too quickly, and released just before Explorer had time to show up it-self wink

I can reproduce it now, and decided to change those shortcuts, as you suggested.

New shortcuts are as follows:
Open File (Enter)
Open with Notepad (Shift+Enter)
Open containing folder (Ctrl+Enter)
File properties (Alt+Enter)

#9 2008-07-31 18:16

SafetyCar
Website

I just tried it, in every way I imagined and looks to be all perfect

Thanks for all big_smile

#10 2008-08-01 13:42

eR@SeR

SafetyCar wrote:

I thought that the option of opening the file, could be just with Enter...

den4b wrote:

New shortcuts are as follows:
Open File (Enter)
Open with Notepad (Shift+Enter)
Open containing folder (Ctrl+Enter)
File properties (Alt+Enter)

Nice solution/suggestion. Now, it's more practically to open file(s)/folder(s) wink

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

Board footer