#1 2008-10-12 08:23

SafetyCar
Website

Fail creating a folder

Hello

Well I i was trying to split a folder into 2

For example we have a folder called "123" and I want to make another folder inside off it called "456" so, what I made is insert "\456" as sufix. Now we have 123\456, when I preview doesn't show any error, but when I click rename, cannot rename it.

After this error I made a few tests:

123\789 > Fail
12\3 > Renamed correctly and folder created
456\123 > Renamed correctly and folder created
_123\456 > Renamed correctly and folder created
123_\456 > Renamed correctly and folder created

So it looks to be a problem just when the first part of the name is unchanged. I don´t know if it's problem of renamer or could be from windows (?).

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#2 2008-10-15 22:46

den4b
Administrator

Re: Fail creating a folder

It is actually Windows forbids us to rename C:\123 into C:\123\456. I can kinda see where it is coming from...

The renaming of files/folders is basically a move operation from one location into another. As you know, with files, you cannot move/rename C:\A.txt into C:\B.txt WHEN both of them exist, you get path collision. So first you must delete C:\B.txt, and then do the renaming. I guess for the same reason you cannot rename C:\123 into C:\123\456, as it can be seen as overwriting already existing path. So to fix the problem, first, you would need to delete the C:\123 - which is absurd, I know, but by doing so you will eliminate the path collision.

All of the other examples do not conflict with any existing paths, and that is why they were successfully renamed.

Does it make any sense?

#3 2008-10-16 13:54

SafetyCar
Website

den4b wrote:

The renaming of files/folders is basically a move operation from one location into another. As you know, with files, you cannot move/rename C:\A.txt into C:\B.txt WHEN both of them exist, you get path collision. So first you must delete C:\B.txt, and then do the renaming. I guess for the same reason you cannot rename C:\123 into C:\123\456, as it can be seen as overwriting already existing path. So to fix the problem, first, you would need to delete the C:\123 - which is absurd, I know, but by doing so you will eliminate the path collision.

Oh, that made me think about one other fact of windows. Have you ever tried to copy a folder and paste inside itself? It gives an error, must be closely related to this problem... hmm

Last edited by SafetyCar (2008-10-16 13:55)

#4 2009-03-12 18:01

SafetyCar
Website

Hi Denis,

Today I downloaded Renamer 11-Mar Beta, and reading the change log I saw you implemented what I said in this threat. I’ll try to explain 2 things I noticed trying this feature. (But I don't know if they are directly related)

1- Some dots missing next to “\”
In the images below can be better understood. (With a fast look is enough)
I posted this because it looks some kind of unwanted thing.
“Looks” but maybe it’s not so bad, in fact windows does not allow dots at the end of a name.
So it might be an unfinished feature, if it would remove all the dots (at end positions) would have sense… (And if the spaces also where removed even better, because windows doesn’t allow them on that positions either)

2- Minor problem with “\” at the end of a file name
Renaming with a "\" at the end of a path, might cause some problems (some images at the end of the post).
Not a big matter on my side. I just warn because you might like (or not) to prevent it (warning or whatever).

-----1-----

22609699.png
19684956.png
56775139.png

-----2-----
This came into my mind and tried it:

19693054.png

No error appear, so let’s try to rename

10977630.png

No problem opening the path or the file, just what the image shows. And after that action no more changes can be made on the filename because de program is confused.

Last edited by SafetyCar (2009-03-14 14:02)

#5 2009-03-15 21:32

den4b
Administrator

Very interesting observations, SafetyCar!

1- Some dots missing next to “\”
This is Windows bug I guess. I used GetFullPathName WinAPI function, which resolves relative paths. But as you noticed, it messes up dots that are part of the name. I have implemented my own procedure to expand relative "." and ".." directories, which will basically replace them only when they are surrounded by path delimiters, i.e. "\.\" and "\..\".

2- Minor problem with “\” at the end of a file name
Nicely spotted. I am surprised that Windows actually goes ahead with renaming. I think it should fail such renaming operations. Anyway, I fixed this little problem. You will get a warning on validation in such cases, but if you decide to go ahead with renaming – it will be handled correctly.

Try the latest development version: ReNamerBeta.zip

P.S. It would've been better as a new topic.

#6 2009-03-19 12:20

SafetyCar
Website

den4b wrote:

P.S. It would've been better as a new topic.

Sorry, My fault, I thought I was posting in other threat ( http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2693#p2693 )
And as far as I can see, It wasn't related to that modification. So if you want you can split it into a new topic.

Related to the first problem, I see that ReNamer can resolve \.\ and \..\ but with 3 or more dots still has some problems, not the program but on the rename, windows doesn't allow the rename.

My suggestion is that it could do a warning after the validation.

Note that are more problems related to the dots in front of "\" and to give and example I leave this here because you might get better conclusions from them:

• asdf...\ > error on rename

• asdf..\  > error on rename

• asdf.\   > no error, but the dot will disappear on windows

• ...\ > error on rename

• ..\  > ok, one folder back

• .\   > no error (because of your modification)

P.S. I try to give suggestions with the problems I see, but maybe if you re-think about all you could give it other solution (you are the expert big_smile)

Board footer