#1 2009-10-11 18:38

pribl

Files and folders fail to rename

need to rename about 500 files and folders. soft take txt with the list of file names, everything is ok, every file & folder have new name. but after I press "rename" button near every file appear red cross. I check file properties - no file is "only read"... what is the problem ?

#2 2009-10-11 19:10

Stefan

Re: Files and folders fail to rename

Hi pribl, welcome.

Can you help me please?
My car get very hot after a few minutes of driving, What could this be? I have checked, water is filled in enough!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Stefan (2009-10-11 19:11)

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2009-10-11 19:59

pribl

first message look not so clear...  ok, so lets try again:

quest: rename about 5000 files in many folders from names like 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg - to the names from my .txt document. I add folders to ReNamer, add rule "userinput", load my .txt file, previev stage is ok & every file have its new name. but when I press "Rename" - I see error message and near every file appear red cross...

#4 2009-10-11 21:26

krtek

A bit better, but still lacks the most important: what was the error message?
And give some real examples, cause eg. if you try to rename:

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

to:

02.jpg
03.jpg
01.jpg

You'll get error messages because when ReNamer tries to rename 01.jpg to 02.jpg it finds out that there already is a file with name 02.jpg in that folder and having the name conflict it gives up...

But what's your problem, we still don't know...
From what you've written one thing is quite sure - ReNamer works as intended. The problem is almost for sure caused by the file system.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#5 2009-10-11 21:28

Stefan

Hi pribl, we have no crystal bowl and can't look over your shoulder  smile

So to help you we need example
- how is the structure of the folders (maybe paths gets too long?)
- whats the old and whats the new name of your files
- how looks your txt file, example please
- and what says the error messages

Please provide as many information as you can, with maybe five renaming examples, in an readable form.
And perhaps you are able to take an screenshot of ReNamer while you get this errors.
If english is not your mother language tell us what language you speak, maybe someone can translate.

I am still wonder why Preview says OK and Rename brings red X's.
I think those red X's means the new name already exists, but then the preview would show an exclamation mark?

---
Ah, found it: here is an preview of an new ReNamer help manual, i think page 18 could be from interest to you:
http://www.den4b.com/downloads.php?project=ReNamer
http://www.den4b.com/projects/ReNamer/o … arayan.zip

Last edited by Stefan (2009-10-11 21:34)

If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#6 2009-10-11 21:52

Stefan

Oh.

pribl wrote:

...everything is ok, every file & folder have new name. ...

If you rename the folders first, then next the files from that folder may not be found for renaming anymore.

An member of us has explained this In the last weeks somewhere, maybe you will find this tread...

#7 2009-10-11 22:44

pribl

Stefan wrote:

Oh.

pribl wrote:

...everything is ok, every file & folder have new name. ...

If you rename the folders first, then next the files from that folder may not be found for renaming anymore.

An member of us has explained this In the last weeks somewhere, maybe you will find this tread...

look like there is the problem. I do as you say and now it is ok. thanks !

Board footer