#81 2009-10-14 22:04

Stefan

Re: New Swap or Rearrange rule

den4b wrote:

"[x] Force sequence" is exactly like it was before, except different wording of it. The radio button seems to be a much better option.

"Exact pattern of delimiters" might sound more strict, but isn't that implied by a word "pattern" ? There is also a shortage of space to insert the word "exact", I tried it! wink (also consider space for translations)

Yes, Denis.
Not to push you, but to make myself clear:

* i like that you lineup the options in the one row, but
* Whit "Exact order of delimiters"  i could guess what it does.
   The term "Pattern of delimiters"  makes no sense to me here, at least i didn't understand it (my translator say pattern could be translated to 'constitution' or like this, but i understand 'pattern' not that way).

That's why:
* "Force sequence"  was my short word for "Exact pattern of delimiters" ... to save space in the UI.
* and since "Force sequence" is not self-clear - i made an [x]-check box, related to ( ) Delimiter, to make the relation ship.

Anyway, an another try to help:
Split using: ( )Delimiters __ (o)Force Delimiters __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Any Delimiters __ (o)Exact Delimiters __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Delimiters  __ (o)Delimiters exactly  __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Delimiters  __ (o)Delimiters in order  __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Delimiters __ (o)Pattern of delimiters __ ( )Positions      <---- length test

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#82 2009-10-15 16:42

krtek

I've got the same feeling Stefan. I know what Pattern of delimiters means only because I saw it growing up. I would have to look into the manual if I weren't. But...

Stefan wrote:

Split using: ( )Delimiters __ (o)Force Delimiters __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Any Delimiters __ (o)Exact Delimiters __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Delimiters  __ (o)Delimiters exactly  __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Delimiters  __ (o)Delimiters in order  __ ( )Positions
Split using: ( )Delimiters __ (o)Pattern of delimiters __ ( )Positions

From these five only Denis's ( )Delimiters __ (o)Pattern of delimiters __ ( )Positions makes sense. (after second thought: maybe Delimiters in order is also not bad...)
The Any Delimiters although completely intact shows the possibility to make the expression Pattern of delimiters clear by opposition to the first option. But I simply can't find short and simple words for that.

Last edited by krtek (2009-10-15 16:44)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#83 2009-10-15 17:19

narayan

How about "in sequence" or "repeat sequence"?

Since this is a suboption of the first radio button, it should be shown in the second line.

#84 2009-10-15 21:12

krtek

The main idea of the new layout was to make it equal to the rest of options (so not a suboption).
"repeat sequence" gives no/wrong info about what the option is for.
"in sequence" is like "in order" - is not bad, but not good either.

From my point of view Denis's version is still the best one. It is a pattern...

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#85 2009-10-15 21:26

den4b
Administrator

My final verdict for this option is: "Exact pattern of delimiters", as a radio button. Implemented.

P.S. Interesting to see how small things like this can attract a lot of interest and ideas! smile

#86 2009-10-15 21:49

Stefan

den4b wrote:

P.S. Interesting to see how small things like this can attract a lot of interest and ideas! smile

Glad you are not cross whit us, while we drives you nuts  tongue

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#87 2009-10-16 02:48

narayan

Perfection is the name of the game! smile

Stefan - A final version of your examples, please!

#88 2009-11-01 15:35

fjord

I'm catching up on over a year's worth of fantastic improvements in ReNamer, and reading through this thread and the Wiki about Rearrange. I want to sort photos into folders by date, and Advanced  Example 3 deals with this. But I'm a bit mystified by the need to use the first character "D" as a delimiter, since the filename is not getting rearranged at all.

Task: Sort digital photos in different folders based on the Date...
DSC_0001.jpg     D:\photos\trip\2009_10_21\DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg     D:\photos\trip\2009_10_21\DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg     D:\photos\trip\2009_10_25\DSC_0125.jpg
Settings:
Delimiter: "D" (without the quotes)
New pattern: D:\photos\trip\:EXIF_Date:\D$2

Can this be done without any delimiter, and just using $0 token for the filename in the result. That would seem to be a simpler example, if it works according to my intuition. wink  As in:

Delimiter: "" (no delimiters)
New pattern: D:\photos\trip\:EXIF_Date:\$0

I haven't tried it yet...so I may be misunderstanding something.

#89 2009-11-01 16:55

narayan

You are right: Some of those examples were written when there was no $0 token. So the name had to be re-created through indirect manipulation.

now the $0 will serve the purpose.

Thanks for the feedback.

#90 2009-11-21 02:56

narayan

Hi all,

I have updated the wiki with the latest changes. Only the "Exact pattern of delimiters" option is yet to be explained.

Either update that directly or post your material (logic of the algorithm with examples) here.

Thanks!

Board footer