#1 2006-08-08 05:27

MegaManta

Sort by EXIF

Hello,

I love your program and I want to ask if you can apply this:

I use the ReNamer to rename pictures taken with a digital camera, but sometimes ago I used another digital camera (and probaly in the future I will use another). My problem is the index created by the cameras are diferent, some of the pictures have been renamed before, droping the camera index.
Now I want to rename again all this pictures by chronologic time (you know, birth time, child time, etc.)
Your program is the only I find to have, already, the possibilty to rename the pictures with the EXIF info in the file name, but can't sort the pictures by that info in the columns table, only with created or modified time witch isn't the same thing when we want to serialize the files to use in other programs who can only read the file name, like slide show or make a picture movie to DVD.

For example (date dd-mm-yyyy): I have a picture taken in 11-12-2005 created in 16-02-2006 modified in 13-04-2002 (the pc clock was wrongly set in the last date)

If your program already takes the EXIF info to put it in the file name can the same info be transported to a column in the table, so we can sort it by that info?

Tank you for your attention

P.S.: My Pascal Knowledge is near zero.

#2 2006-08-08 10:38

den4b
Administrator

Re: Sort by EXIF

Hi MegaManta smile

There is already a way to sort by EXIF date-time. You have to add two rules: Delete from position 1 until the end, Insert ":EXIF_Date: :EXIF_Time:" as prefix. That will clear an entire new name, and will place EXIF date and time, just make sure that you set the date format to "yyyy-mm-dd" and the time format to "hh-nn-ss" for the correct chronological sorting. Now, simply sort by the New Name column and thats it, now you can uncheck/delete these two rules and proceed with your standard renaming process. How does that sounds to you?

At the bottom, I've attached a screenshot of how it would look like. Thats a ready-to-go solution for you. But I will consider adding the EXIF column to the table!

renamersortbyexifjq1.png

#3 2006-08-08 15:54

MegaManta

Re: Sort by EXIF

Thank you very much, your solution worked very well.
The rules did the job, at some point the preview warned me there was duplicade file names, same date and time by the exact second. No problem, I just sorted the files and unchecked the previous rules and applyed the new ones with serialize included and voil?!!

I used three new rules after the first two and sorting:
Delete:    Delete from Position 1 until the End (skip extension)
Insert:     Insert "nameyouwant " as Prefix
Serialize: Serialize Incremental from 1 step 1 and pad to lenght 4 as suffix (before extension)

I think the EXIf in a column will be great because sometimes we need to reformat the PC, and after we make the backup of everthing and start the reformat, we remember "Ooops!!! I forgot ReNamer rules". And I don't see another use for this rule different from sorting pictures, your program will became a major success among digital camera users. It is already a major success, is simple, understandble, functional, but can be a bigger success.

Thank you again.

Helder

Board footer