#1 2010-06-17 15:07

FranCi

Rearrange Rule v2.0

I was having a quick thought about a "visual" better way to use the Rearrange rule. Because it is so versatile it can also become easily overwhelming, and a lot of users might not use it to its full potential.

My suggestions would be a preview area inside the Rearrange rule for the actual selected file where one can see which parts were found by delimiters for $1, $2, $3... and so on.

For example:

ppp.zzz.TEST.aaa.bbb.100.ext    

To:
aaa_bbb.ppp.100 - TEST.zzz.ext

As a delimiter a user would enter "." without the quotes. Easy.
But then it would take some time (it would take more for a complex example) to compose the new Pattern. It would tremendously save time if the user could have a list of the found parts after the delimiter is specified:

Delimiter: "."
Found Parts:
$1 = ppp
$2 = zzz
$3 = TEST
$4 = aaa
$5 = bbb
$6 = 100
$7 = ext

Now the user can see all the found parts, and easily rearrange them with visually reference.
That alone would make it already a great help.
But two little things would make it even better:
Composing by clicking, and previewing the new pattern.

Imagine this: The user enters "." as a delimiter, now the rearrange rule shows what parts are found under that delimiter, then the user simply clicks on a found parts and the corresponding $* is automatically transfered into the new-pattern slot and a preview of that new string is shown.

So for example again:
ppp.zzz.TEST.aaa.bbb.100.ext    

To:
aaa_bbb.ppp.100 - TEST.zzz.ext

Delimiter: "."
Found Parts:
$1 = ppp
$2 = zzz
$3 = TEST
$4 = aaa
$5 = bbb
$6 = 100
$7 = ext

Clicking on $4 = aaa inserts $4 into the new-pattern slot, and the preview shows it by aaa
Now the user simply types "_" behind it and continue to click on the next Part $5 = bbb.
The new-pattern slot now shows $4_$5 and the preview shows aaa_bbb . Now the user types an "." and clicks on $1 = ppp. Preview now shows aaa_bbb.ppp while the new-pattern slot shows $4_$5.$1 and so on....

With this method it would be really easy (visual) and fast (clicking) to compose a new pattern.

I did a fast mock-up of my suggestion

rearrangerulev2.png
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5026/r … rulev2.png

Maybe its useful for some inspiration smile

#2 2010-06-18 15:54

ozzii

Re: Rearrange Rule v2.0

I like it wink
Could make the life easier

#3 2010-06-19 08:06

Stefan

FYI, this was discussed while implementing this new rule and Denis the Author didn't like it that time.
http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=663

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#4 2010-06-19 16:48

FranCi

After reading through the thread you posted, i know now that we even had the same idea smile

Board footer