#11 2010-09-30 16:46

narayan

Re: PDF created from wiki - Pending tasks

I agree. The HTML code of that page needs tweaking to ensure that even newbie users can download the pdf file just by clicking (not by RIGHT-clicking).

Denis, see my post above (solution#8), which shows how to rename the pdf file (default name is "collection.pdf", which can be changed).
Just a gentle reminder: The pediaprint guys have suggested a lot of tweaks to take care of most of the issues. (mostly config settings in some Python files)
After all that tweaking, only two problems will remain:
1. No hotspots (not a big deal in pdf, but the sentence will have to be removed)
2. No bookmark panel (this is a major problem. To compensate for this loss, we will have to design the navigational links).
  As mentioned before, the "export to odt" extension solves the problem pdf created by OpenOffice have bookmarks automatically. No effort required!)

Last edited by narayan (2010-09-30 16:51)

#12 2010-09-30 16:57

eR@SeR

When is clicked on "Get the latest version of this manual as PDF" this message appears:

"Please wait while the document is being generated.

Progress: 54.28% Status: laying out (wiki page: Analyze)

This page should automatically refresh every few seconds. If this does not work, please press your browser's refresh button."

I downloaded that collection.pdf file... I'm using latest Opera, no problems at all about downloading pdf using "Save Linked Content As"...

It's good to see progress about pdf offline content smile

Andrew wrote:

Something like ReNamer Manual.pdf etc. is what is needed.

I agree.

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#13 2010-10-09 21:01

den4b
Administrator

narayan, I should've mentioned that I'm using PediaPress's public converter. I cannot apply any of the modifications that you have described. I cannot install a local version of the printing service because I'm on a shared hosting with limited access.

They only thing that I was able to do is enable ODT output.

#14 2010-10-10 04:14

narayan

That's fine- I had suggested odt as plan B! smile

But just a thought- Can you contact the webmaster and tell him to make these changes? These are not really options that some other customer will want to turn off. If he agrees, everyone will get the benefits.

BTW I could not see the "export as odt" link anywhere! Where is it?

Last edited by narayan (2010-10-10 06:21)

#15 2010-10-10 10:22

den4b
Administrator

Go to the Book Creater. In the box that says "Download" there is an option to select the format.

#16 2010-10-10 12:55

narayan

Got the odt file. It has some issues:

All hyperlinks point to web pages (not to bookmarks within the book). Correcting them would need a lot of work.

The text formatting is lost; especially in RegRx section, where text color is important to explain what matches the specified RegEx pattern, and what does not.

In addition, all images are floating over text (probably I will have to change their anchor type from "over text" to "in line with text").

The imagemap does not work as expected inside an odt book. So I will have to place links next to the image, rather than asking reader to click directly ion different parts of the screenshot.

Other things can be managed.

Last edited by narayan (2010-10-10 13:05)

Board footer