#1 2011-01-06 08:38

SDdave

Warning message "The Publisher could be verified" on Windows 7 x64

I'm a brand new ReNamer user.  The program works flawlessly except for one problem:  every time the program is executed, Windows 7x64, displays a security warning that "The Publisher could be verified".  Also included in the warning is "The file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher".

I downloaded and installed the ReNamer 5.50 archive from the den4b web site.  Although the warning message causes no apparent problems, I'd like to eliminate it.  Any suggestions?

#2 2011-01-06 13:09

ozzii

Re: Warning message "The Publisher could be verified" on Windows 7 x64

I don't know what to say but I don't have any alert win 7x32.
But I have just one user who is admin and without UAC

#3 2011-01-06 15:07

Andrew

Try the latest beta. I use it on the same OS and no such issues.

#4 2011-01-07 02:47

SDdave

As you suggested, I tried the latest beta.  Hopefully, you can make some sense out of these results, because I sure can't.

First, a bit of background info:  I have two user-ids, one with admin privileges, one without.  Both version 5.50 and the beta were initially installed and tested with the non-admin user-id.

1.  The beta caused the Publisher verification error message when installed and tested with the non-admin user-id.

2.  Both the beta and 5.50 did not cause the error message when run as administrator.

3.  Logging in with the admin-id and reinstalling to Program Files (x86) and later to My Documents and running with the admin-id still caused the error message.

After all that, I've now either solved the problem or kludged around it.  Using the non-admin-id

1.  I "Unblocked" the downloaded beta file ReNamer.zip in Windows Explorer/Properties/General, and

2.  Extracted and installed the beta into Program Files (x86).

Since I didn't have to "Unblock" the one other Window 7 application I've downloaded in a similar manner, the question remains, what's different about ReNamer?  Does it actually have a valid digital signature?

Last edited by SDdave (2011-01-07 09:23)

#5 2011-01-07 16:15

Andrew

I don't think the main program executable is digitally signed. I never use the installer version, but the portable version is always run from an admin account, so maybe that's why I have never faced similar issues. Maybe when Denis returns he can look into the possibility of a digital signature.

#6 2011-01-08 01:44

SDdave

Thanks.  I believe Windows is concerned about the downloaded zip file being digitally signed, not the embedded executable.

Last edited by SDdave (2011-01-08 09:52)

#7 2011-01-08 16:25

Andrew

SDdave wrote:

I'm a brand new ReNamer user.  The program works flawlessly except for one problem:  every time the program is executed, Windows 7x64, displays a security warning that "The Publisher could be verified".  Also included in the warning is "The file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher".

I don't see how the ZIP file could be the cause of the problem. I've never seen ZIP files with digital certificates. It's the EXE that's causing the warning.

Board footer