#1 2011-01-27 19:43

Shalbatana

Changing case only doesn't work

Hi,
Been a long-time user of renamer. I've tried many programs like it and nothing beats it. I'm mighty impressed that you've been able to find elegant solutions to issues that other programs (even paid ones) have fumbled with, or implemented clunky solutions. It's nice to have a program that simply "works" - thank you.

There is one issue however that I've noticed for a long time that has never been resolved.

If you try to rename a group of files by changing the case only, the program will register that it made the changes, but the file names themselves remain unchanged.

I know this is actually an issue that happens in windows (I'm on XP) itself, and maybe it's fixed in Vista or 7, but I imagine there's a workaround. Other programs can do it. I would imagine that if nothing else, you could have renamer detect that it's a case-only adjustment, and if so, then rename everything first with a dummy character, then immediately go back and remove the character, whilst changing the case at the same time.

This is how I work around it myself, but it would be great if the program did the 2-step process, not me.

---
we currently have an issue at the place I'm working where .PNG files are exported from powerpoint, but the web scripts need .png
They use a program called extension renamer that handles the case issue just fine. Trouble is, it's only for extensions. I'd much rather use renamer anyway, and be able to introduce it to everyone else.

#2 2011-01-28 09:33

SafetyCar
Website

Re: Changing case only doesn't work

For me it does change the case, but windows doesn't show it until you update the view (press F5).

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#3 2011-01-28 20:05

eR@SeR

After digging a while I know that I asked about it too smile
Here it is: Files not updated after rename (refresh problem)
Denis gave his opinion there.

Shalbatana wrote:

I would imagine that if nothing else, you could have renamer detect that it's a case-only adjustment, and if so, then rename everything first with a dummy character, then immediately go back and remove the character, whilst changing the case at the same time.

I don't know if this could be feasible but it might work...

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#4 2011-01-29 18:35

Andrew

It might work, but consider the case (no pun intended!) when you're renaming lots of files at one go. Why hit the HDD more than necessary? Surely as long as ReNamer has done its job properly, what XP does or doesn't do in terms of refreshing is immaterial? For the purposes of the script, the files have been renamed and should now work.

#5 2011-02-21 00:05

Shalbatana

As you say, as long as it actually works that's good enough. I didn't realize that the correction was actually made. I just thought windows just ignored the change.

Board footer