#1 2014-06-07 17:45

Elektro

[SUGGESTION] A progress bar !!

There is no way to know how much the rename operation will take with a very big number of files, I've added +200.000 files and I'm waiting minutes and minutes without any information about the total amount of files processed or the elapsed time or estimated time or anything else that could help me in a way.

I know that the goal of all developers is a good visual/permormance/speed balance, but a simple Progressbar inside the statusbar that updates the progress lets say every 5 or 10 or 15 seconds is a very big delay that will not affect anything into the main thread performance or the process itself!,
really a ProgressBar is needed here, and as a programmer I would like to "reclaim" this feature 'cause as we know it's easy to add it and do the checks to update it.

Also there is a related issue about implementing a progressbar and specifically to update it (the control) 'cause I've noted that the Formulary hangs when renaming a big amount of files 'cause the process is single-threaded, I really don't know nothing about multi-threading in Delphi, I don't know whether Delphi supports multi-threading techniques such as managing Callbacks but I suppose yes Delphi can, anyways in other languages such as .NET is not really necessary to update a control like a "huge" Progressbar or an StatusProgressBar in a second thread and it can be done efficiently in the same thread, but doing this in the same thread will slow performance even in efficiently way, hopefully the developer decide to realize this suggestion and the better way to implement it, he is the expert in Delphi !!.

Thanks for read!

Last edited by Elektro (2014-06-07 17:50)

Board footer