#1 2014-11-23 17:49

reglis

ReNamer 6.1 release and storage of application settings

Hello,

First, thank you for this excellent software.

When installing ReNamer 6.1 release on Windows XP,
I have "C:\Program Files\ReNamer" folder but also "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Mes documents\den4b\ReNamer" folder compared to the 5.76 release.
This folder contains "Settings.ini" file and a second time "Scripts" and "Translits" folder with the same files.

Is this normal?

Best regards.

Edit :
Settings.ini (6.1 release) = ReNamer.ini (5.76 release)

Last edited by reglis (2014-11-23 17:55)

#2 2014-11-23 19:29

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer 6.1 release and storage of application settings

This is normal.

Starting from ReNamer 6.0 all settings, scripts, translits and presets are stored in the user profile directory, but only for the installer version. This is done to overcome UAC restrictions on modern operating systems and allow personalized settings for every user on the same machine.

Before ReNamer 6.0 all settings were stored in the application folder, and portable edition of ReNamer will still do.

When you use installer to install ReNamer 6.0 or later versions, on first lunch ReNamer tries to migrate user settings from the current application directory to the user profile directory. "Migration.log" file will be created to capture migration steps. Original files will remain untouched.

In your case, original configuration files were migrated from "C:\Program Files\ReNamer" to "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Mes documents\den4b\ReNamer", but they won't be deleted.

#3 2014-11-24 10:14

reglis

Hi,

"My Documents" folder is only for my documents.

Why not use "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data" directory as the other software ?

OK I will then use the portable version.

#4 2014-11-24 11:44

den4b
Administrator

reglis wrote:

"My Documents" folder is only for my documents.

Why not use "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data" directory as the other software ?

The files that ReNamer stores there are indeed your documents, your presets, your scripts, your translits. Application doesn't need these files to function normally.

#5 2014-11-24 12:38

reglis

OK

Finally I used Installer version and just delete "Storage.ini" file before launching ReNamer.

Best regards.

#6 2014-11-25 00:23

den4b
Administrator

Yes, that will do the trick too.

"Storage.ini" file is what makes ReNamer use user profile directory for the installer edition.

#7 2015-07-20 20:05

rcm_other

Hello,
I also like the program.  It helps to organize large batches of files.  However, the new versions putting folders in My Documents folder is annoying.  I don't have other programs that use My Documents for applications/user settings, so why can't renamer store them in AppData or some other place like other programs.
Thanks

#8 2015-07-20 20:43

den4b
Administrator

ReNamer, as well as all other applications here, are designed to be portable. You can use the portable version (ZIP archive download) and it will store all of user settings and presets in the same folder.

The installer version was adopted to work on all versions of Windows, including latest versions, were installed applications normally do not have write permission in the installation folder. The user profile folder and "My Documents" folder are the only locations where application is guaranteed to have write access to.

I can assure you that other applications also use these locations, they just might be hiding their folders so they are not visible.

Board footer