#1 2015-06-29 21:52

IzzyB

Issue with Column Display of Created Timestamp

I've noted what I take to be an issue with the display of time stamps in Renamer's file display pane.

As illustration, I attach a screen print from version 6.2:

Renamer_62_Screen.jpg

Observation suggests that files created during the first second of the day will have display of the "00:00:00" timestamp suppressed.

A little background -

I first noticed this a few weeks ago while running version 5.70.  I saw a second instance recently and worked up enough energy to start building a bug report. I updated to the current version, 6.2, to generate a meaningful test and confirmed the behavior as shown in the screen print above.

I have not investigated formatting of the other directory date/time fields.

There is some relationship here to my previous post: Sequence Number from CreateTimeStamp -- TimeStamp precision?

I should note that Renamer is generating the correct sequence numbers from the time stamps - this is a display only issue.

The only real question here would be whether I've somehow bollixed this or whether I've caught an obscure bug.  If it's judged a bug and I need to submit some more formal report, please let me know.

Context: Win7 Pro 64 + NTFS + Renamer 5.70 and 6.2

Thanks

#2 2015-06-30 15:04

den4b
Administrator

Re: Issue with Column Display of Created Timestamp

Thank you for a very detailed investigation!

It looks like you have caught an obscure feature, which I consider to be a bug.

Unknown wrote:

"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."

The default date/time formatting routine, which is used for formatting timestamps in files table, is programmed in a way that deliberately skips the time component if hour:minute:second are all zero (00:00:00). That is a completely arbitrary thing to do, considering that the purpose of the routine is to format both components. This routine is part of the RTL (Run Time Library) and will need to be fixed in compiler's repository (already reported as a bug).

In the meantime, a simple workaround will be implemented in ReNamer to force display of midnight time component.

#3 2015-07-01 02:59

IzzyB

I'm onboard with your characterization..

..an obscure feature

But I though it worth reporting - 'cause, how often do you get a stream of test data created in the first second of the day, and - it's really visually compelling.

So, thanks again for your attention and efforts.

#4 2015-07-03 09:43

den4b
Administrator

Issue was addressed in ReNamer 6.2.0.5 Beta.

Board footer