#1 2016-01-17 11:56

stringsonfire

Move den4b folder out of My Documents

Hi

Currently, ReNamer installs 'Settings.ini', 'Scripts' and 'Translits' to C:\Users\USER\Documents\den4b\ReNamer. This isn't a great place for configuration files, and no other app I use does this anymore.

I couldn't find a way of changing this location in the settings either.

Could I request the default be changed to C:\Users\USER\AppData\ or similar please?

Thanks!

#2 2016-01-17 21:51

den4b
Administrator

Re: Move den4b folder out of My Documents

The storage of application settings will be moved to CSIDL_APPDATA in near future.

In the meantime, you can change the location of settings by modifying the content of "Storage.ini" file, found in the same folder as the executable.

For example, replace the entire content of "Storage.ini" file with:

%APPDATA%\den4b\ReNamer\

P.S. The existing settings will not be migrated automatically, so you'll need to move them manually if you want to keep using them.

#3 2016-01-21 16:12

stringsonfire

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Maybe the contents of Storage.ini could be surfaced as an option configurable inside the app?

#4 2016-01-21 22:16

den4b
Administrator

I forgot to mention that the expansion of the environment variables, such as %APPDATA%, in Storage.ini file was implemented in v6.3.0.4 Beta.

You will need to use the latest development version to get that functionality. Alternatively, you can use the full (expanded) path in any prior versions.

Storage.ini is only used by the installer version and it is normally installed in a protected location (e.g. Program Files), so ReNamer itself won't have ability to edit it without administrative elevation.

#5 2018-05-23 12:37

Pascal

Thank you very much for this clear and detailed answer. I fully subscribe to this idea!

Regards,
Pascal

Board footer