#1 2016-05-22 18:33

kunkel321

Preset keeps reverting...

Strange thing.   I have saved set of rules.  One of the rules is 'Replace.'  I had originally created it as
Find:  "__*|*_"
Replace:  " "   (i.e. an empty space)

After using is a few times I realized the I needed to correct it as
Replace:  " *|* "
So that both of the found items (rather than just the first) will get replaced with a space character.

I saved it, and it saved okay, but it keeps changing back to how I originally had made it.  I've tried doing a "Save As" in order to make a new preset, but that didn't help.

Here are the rules for the preset:  (In the GUI it shows as Rule 4, so I guess rule "3," below)

[Rule0]
ID=Replace
Config=TEXTWHAT:Scientific+American+Mind%2A%2D%2D;TEXTWITH:MIND+%2D%2D;WHICH:3;SKIPEXTENSION:1;CASESENSITIVE:0;USEWILDCARDS:1;WHOLEWORDSONLY:0
Marked=1

[Rule1]
ID=Remove
Config=TEXT:%28BookZZ%2Eorg%29;WHICH:3;SKIPEXTENSION:1;CASESENSITIVE:0;USEWILDCARDS:0;WHOLEWORDSONLY:0
Marked=1

[Rule2]
ID=Remove
Config=TEXT:%5B%5D%5F;WHICH:3;SKIPEXTENSION:1;CASESENSITIVE:0;USEWILDCARDS:0;WHOLEWORDSONLY:0
Marked=1

[Rule3]
ID=Replace
Config=TEXTWHAT:%5F%5F%2A%7C%2A%5F;TEXTWITH:+;WHICH:3;SKIPEXTENSION:1;CASESENSITIVE:0;USEWILDCARDS:1;WHOLEWORDSONLY:0
Marked=1

[Rule4]
ID=Replace
Config=TEXTWHAT:Science+News+Volume%2A%2D%2D;TEXTWITH:SciNews+%2D%2D+;WHICH:3;SKIPEXTENSION:1;CASESENSITIVE:0;USEWILDCARDS:1;WHOLEWORDSONLY:0
Marked=1

The location of the saved presets is: 
\\NK-FILE\Staff\swkunkel\den4b\ReNamer\Presets

I'm often not "on the network" at work, so this location is "off line," but it is "available." 

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

#2 2016-05-23 11:22

den4b
Administrator

Re: Preset keeps reverting...

I saved it, and it saved okay, but it keeps changing back to how I originally had made it.

When exactly does it change back?

Can you reproduce your issue with a preset that is stored in your local file system (not on the network)?

#3 2016-05-23 14:10

kunkel321

den4b wrote:

When exactly does it change back?

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure 'when' it reverts.  Just now, I tried fixing the problem, then using ReNamer multiple times.  It appears to have retained the corrected rule.  That's what I did before though and it seemed to be working.  Then it reverted back at some unknown time.  I will be mindful of checking it each time I open ReNamer, and will report back if I can figure out what precedes the behavior.

den4b wrote:

Can you reproduce your issue with a preset that is stored in your local file system (not on the network)?

I didn't realize this was an option.  The "Manage" and "Rename" dialogs appear to be "hard pointed" to a specific location.  If I manually copy from the .RNP files to the ReNamer Program File, then "Browse" there with ReNamer, will it use that as the location for presets?  If I do this, will I still be able to use the command line switch for loading presets?

Last edited by kunkel321 (2016-05-23 14:10)

#4 2016-05-23 15:16

den4b
Administrator

kunkel321 wrote:

The "Manage" and "Rename" dialogs appear to be "hard pointed" to a specific location.  If I manually copy from the .RNP files to the ReNamer Program File, then "Browse" there with ReNamer, will it use that as the location for presets?  If I do this, will I still be able to use the command line switch for loading presets?

Presets managed by ReNamer are stored in a dynamically determined location. For the portable version they are stored in the same location as "ReNamer.exe". For the installer version a user profile directory is used by default, or whatever is configured in the "Storage.ini", located in the same folder as "ReNamer.exe".

You can override the location of all stored settings by replacing the content of "Storage.ini" file (or creating it if it doesn't exist) with a desired path, for example: C:\Data\ReNamer\ or even %APPDATA%\ReNamer\ (environment variables are resolved since v6.4).

As for the command line renaming, you can use a preset name of a full path to a preset file which can point to any location.

#5 2016-05-23 17:09

kunkel321

Yeowzers!    I looked in C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer and noticed that there was already a folder called "Presets."  It contained old versions of my presets...   I guess maybe that is where my originally-posted problem came from(??) 

Anyway, I deleted everything from C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets, then pasted that into the Storage.ini file.  (So the file's only content is "C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets" without the parentheses.)   Then I used the Import function in the ReNamer GUI to import my two presets.  So far that one 'Replace' rule seems to still be correct.  But check out the screenshot....

screenshot

The following was created in the folder that I had assigned:
Migration.log
Presets
Scripts
Settings.ini
Translits

I looked inside of the (now recursive) Presets folder and the two presets are there, but an additional "Presets" folder and "ReNamer.ini" file were created.  Then as you can see it keeps getting recreated over and over.  The path for the currently-deepest folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets\Presets.   LOL.  ;-}

No worries.   I only have two rule presets and one custom translit.   I can remake them easily enough, so I'll just scrub my current installation and start over.   Obviously I'll use a different folder name next time, like "MySettings" or something.

Here's the migrations log, by the way:

Migration initiated at 5/23/2016 7:54:58
Source directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\
Target directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\
Copy from: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\ReNamer.ini
Copy to: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\ReNamer.ini
Copy result: OK
Copy from: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets
Copy to: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\Presets
Copy result:  FAILED
Copy from: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Scripts
Copy to: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\Scripts
Copy from: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Translits
Copy to: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\Translits
Rename from: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\ReNamer.ini
Rename to: C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\Settings.ini
Rename result: OK

====================
EDIT:  Okay, I did the big uninstall with Revo.  Here are the reg items that the ReNamer installer left behind. 

jJttLFS.png

I'm not a programmer so I have no idea whether this information is useful to you or not.

Basically all of the folders in Program Files were left behind too.  Probably because of the above noted issue.  Also, I forgot that I had put pdfinfo.exe in there.  That might be part of why the installer left the program files folder alone... I don't know.

Last edited by kunkel321 (2016-05-23 17:25)

#6 2016-05-23 22:36

den4b
Administrator

If you want to store presets and all other settings in the same folder as "ReNamer.exe", then you don't need "Storage.ini" file at all, just delete it. That is the default operation of the portable version.

Make sure you understand what is going on before modifying the settings storage path. This is not a path for storing just the presets, this is a path where all settings are stored. Hence, the settings path is the root path for all settings, not just the presets.

When you changed the path to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets", ReNamer tried to migrate your settings from the current location "C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets\" - this essentially starts a recursive operation every time you start the program.

In regards to the leftover registry entries - none of them were created by ReNamer. These are the results of interaction between user and Windows shell.

#7 2016-05-24 23:44

kunkel321

Yea, that makes sense.  Thanks Dennis.

Board footer