#1 2013-03-17 01:31

den4b
Administrator

Plans for the near future

I would like to take this rare opportunity to express my plans for this site and all of the applications.

1. Registration

I'm currently embedding an optional registration facility, first into ReNamer and then into the remaining products. All of the applications on this site are free for personal/non-commercial purposes but require a license for commercial use. This is not enforced in any way. Perhaps, the registration facility will encourage commercial users to obtain a license. I will also try to improve the whole process of obtaining a commercial license, which so far if far from perfect.

2. Products

There are currently 11 listed products, however, some became quite outdated while others are simply in a development stage without a planned release. The list of products needs to be cleaned up.

First, I will remove products which are not currently available for download, i.e. LockEdit, Pinger, Resizer. They might come back in the future when they are ready, but there isn't much point for them just to sit there. I'm not sure what to do with the outdated applications such as CPUMon, Hasher and Hooker. There hasn't been much development on these products and there are no big plans for them in new future either. They seem to have reached the end of their life cycle. I will keep them in the products listing for now, but I am considering of removing them in the future.

3. Updates

It's a shocking situation on this front. Official product releases are or so much behind the latest development versions that it beats the whole purpose of having such releases at all. I will try to increase the frequency of releases significantly. All products will get their official release once the new registration facility has been integrated.

That's the plan for now.

Last edited by den4b (2013-03-17 11:10)

#2 2013-03-17 08:17

SafetyCar
Website

Re: Plans for the near future

I don't want to tell about what to do, but I just have some doubts. Do this things of registration really work? And it is worth for the people that won't want to try it because of that?

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#3 2013-03-17 11:20

den4b
Administrator

I understand your doubts, so I will try to clarify. The licensing terms haven't changed, they are as they always were. Registration facility simply allows commercial users to install their own license in to the product, so it can be distinguished from the default personal/non-commercial license. Non-commercial users are not required to register.

Another addition is the "Terms of Use" dialog which will be shown during the first lunch of the application, just like the "Quick Guide" prompt in ReNamer.

Let me know if you still have any concerns, it's important that users are not affected in a negative way.

#4 2013-03-17 16:56

SafetyCar
Website

Ok, now is more clear.

Also I re-read the one above and I saw the word _encourage_ if that is the purpose it looks ok, because as a way of _avoid_ it probably wouldn't be very efficient.

It looks fine. A warning of the terms of use and a choice of commercial/non and a sounds reasonable.

#5 2013-03-22 03:03

Andrew

Regarding registration, all I'll say is that users very quickly begin to hate programs that "encourage" them to do things by repeatedly bombarding them with messages/dialogs. As long as it's done in a subtle or completely optional/user-launched manner, I don't think anyone will mind and it may accomplish its intended task. Plus of course no-one likes programs that "phone home" or "report to base" without their explicit permission, so that's one more thing to avoid.

All the best with obtaining many more licensed users!

#6 2013-03-22 08:17

Stefan

Just let me tell my cogitations:

As i saw the Buy button at "http://www.den4b.com/?x=products"

Buy   Downloads   Screenshots   Wiki   Awards 

i was shocked, because that do not looks like a freeware anymore.

May i suggest a better wording? Alas i don't know was would fit. Maybe

Buy/Freeware   Downloads   Screenshots   Wiki   Awards 

?

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#7 2013-03-22 09:26

SafetyCar
Website

I agree with Andrew and Stefan.

Also I don't think that a countdown is a good solution, it's not going to do the people read the thing above, they are just goint to wait por it to end. What about better buttons more or less like:

[ I want a license code ]
[ I have a license code ]    [ Use it free (Non-commercial only) ]

#8 2013-03-23 04:16

eR@SeR

Andrew wrote:

Regarding registration, all I'll say is that users very quickly begin to hate programs that "encourage" them to do things by repeatedly bombarding them with messages/dialogs.

That is done only for first usage of program. There is no bombarding as you say. Only if you delete .ini file, message will pop up.

Stefan wrote:

Maybe

Buy/Freeware   Downloads   Screenshots   Wiki   Awards

...or

Buy commercial license   Downloads   Screenshots   Wiki   Awards

?

As I see there is confusion about registration. It's all about commercial use (companies...) not "home users" (correct me if I'm wrong). It's all the same as before. For that sake I would suggest the line stating something like "Product is freeware as before" so there wouldn't be confusion. Also if there is more doubts about functions of programs, should be stated that there is NO limitations at all i.e. it's FULL version.

Another thing. Website button in pop up, should be changed to "See terms of use" so everyone could see further information of those terms.

SafetyCar wrote:

Also I don't think that a countdown is a good solution, it's not going to do the people read the thing above, they are just goint to wait por it to end.

Yes they will do it mostly, but that countdown have purpose to inform everyone about terms of use. Five seconds, on 1st start, isn't too much for me.

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#9 2013-03-23 10:53

SafetyCar
Website

eR@SeR wrote:
SafetyCar wrote:

Also I don't think that a countdown is a good solution, it's not going to do the people read the thing above, they are just goint to wait por it to end.

Yes they will do it mostly, but that countdown have purpose to inform everyone about terms of use. Five seconds, on 1st start, isn't too much for me.

I'm not saying is too much, I'm just saying is not going to serve for the purpose.

Accepting by itself with clearly clicking buttons that make you think what you are clicking is better than waiting and then seeing an "Accept". I see it more possible that way for them to read above to see what they are accepting, than making them wait for an "Accept". Unless you make them wait for a minute it's not going to work in my opinion. (And I don't think it's the way to go.)

Last edited by SafetyCar (2013-03-23 10:56)

#10 2013-03-23 21:31

den4b
Administrator

I think a 5 second delay on the first launch works well in signifying the importance of the message. Clicking an "accept" button these days is a synonym to "continue" for most users. Taking into example an installation process, many users will just keep clicking the continue button without paying any attention to details.

Many applications use the "countdown" and "scroll to the bottom" techniques (e.g. TeamViewer, Apple) and I personally find it to be quite effective.

Board footer