#1 2006-06-20 04:09

dr.d

Auto start an action on startup?

Hi,
I'm using shutter to mute my master volume before shutdown to avoid a loud pop that my soundcard sends directly to my power amp. This will protect my speakers if I forget to turn off the amp before the computer.

I set shutter to auto run, and set a mute master volume action on process stop - system. It works and the pop is gone.

I want to have shutter automatically start this action each time I start-up windows so I don't have to push run. I know it's lazy but hey.

Thanks for the program.
dr.d

__
Soundcard is Chaintech AV-710, VIA v473b drivers, set to high sample rate (2 channel)
Rotel RB-1050 power amp is hooked up to the Wolfson DAC through the "back surr" output

#2 2006-06-20 10:45

den4b
Administrator

Re: Auto start an action on startup?

Hi dr.d,

Hmm.. you got me confused here: as you said "I set shutter to auto run...", and you want to "I want to have shutter automatically start this action each time I start-up windows". Doesn't the first one already does it? Or do you simply want to run an Action only (without Event), when windows starts? In that case - find in Options a blue label called "Create links to all shutdown actions" - click on it, specify a folder, and shell links for every action will be created for "one-click" launch. And then, you can use them to start to run an Action when windows starts, by putting them into Start->Programs->Startup folder.

I didn't really understand what you wanted to do, but I hope this will help smile

#3 2007-09-13 04:29

dasbooter

I am reviving this thread because I think I know what the original question meant and I have the same problem. I use this awesome program to turn off my monitor after a selected period of time. I use the electricsheep screensaver and apparently this causes too much  load for xp's powersaving feature and therefor the monitor never gets turned off. Your program was the solution. I have selected the event as "User Inactive" the time as 55 minutes and the action as "Monitor Turn Off". This works great and turns off the monitor most times. I have also selected the option to Autorun at windows startup/logon. The program does load on every start up but the user inactive event is not enabled automatically and the icon in the task bar is greyed out. I have to manually start the event user inactive by right clicking on the icon (the one that loaded on start up) and hit Start - User Inactive. So although the program starts automatically it does not automatically start whatever task you had set up. I thought this may have been by design as I suppose that if one had set up restart on inactivity that one would have there computer caught in a loop of restarting and restarting if they didnt do anything with the computer. Still it is a pain to have to start the task itself automatically. Maybe you can clear up how this is supposed to work smile

#4 2007-09-13 16:32

den4b
Administrator

I think you have misunderstood some of the options. You use "Autorun at Windows startup/logon" option - which simply runs the program on startup. If you want to start an event as well, then you also need to use "Start event when program starts" option. And then, if you also want your event too loop, use "Restart events after they've been triggered".

So, for your task, you need to use these 3 options:
* Autorun at Windows startup/logon
* Start event when program start
* Restart events after they've been triggered

#5 2007-09-17 02:28

dasbooter

den4b wrote:

I think you have misunderstood some of the options. You use "Autorun at Windows startup/logon" option - which simply runs the program on startup. If you want to start an event as well, then you also need to use "Start event when program starts" option. And then, if you also want your event too loop, use "Restart events after they've been triggered".

So, for your task, you need to use these 3 options:
* Autorun at Windows startup/logon
* Start event when program start
* Restart events after they've been triggered

Oh I see now I thought the start event for program start was a set up where you had a start event for say when winamp or something starts. Thanks for making that clear, dont know why I was thinking what I was thinking.

Board footer