#1 2020-04-07 12:25

agi62

Shutter doesn't save events

Hello,
I installed Shutter as administrator on Windows 7 but it doesn't save events, what can I check?
Thanks.

#2 2020-04-08 09:32

den4b
Administrator

Re: Shutter doesn't save events

Please provide more details:

1. Shutter version
2. Installer or Portable version
3. Installation path
4. Describe how to reproduce, i.e. exactly where and when do you think the events are not saved.

#3 2020-04-08 11:59

agi62

den4b wrote:

Please provide more details:

1. Shutter version
2. Installer or Portable version
3. Installation path
4. Describe how to reproduce, i.e. exactly where and when do you think the events are not saved.

Hello, thanks :-)

1. Shutter version: 4.4
2. Installer
3. I tried the default installation, C:\Program Files (x86), C:\shutter and in E:\shutter.
4.I start shutter, add an event, add an action, try and it works but when I restart shutter the event and action disappeared.
In settings, the box "Save events and actions on exit" is checked.
In C:\Users\user\Documents there is no Shutter folder

#4 2020-04-08 13:40

den4b
Administrator

The most common reason for not saved settings/presets is a permissions issue. If you use the stock installer version, normally, it doesn't matter where it is installed because the settings are saved in the user profile directory, which is expected to be always writeable.

Please navigate to the following path:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\den4b\Shutter

You should be able to find "Settings.ini" file there and the "Presets" directory.

1. Close Shutter
2. Delete "Settings.ini" and move/rename the "Presets" folder (as a backup)
3. Launch Shutter
4. Make some changes to the settings, and enable "Save events and actions on exit" option.
5. Close Shutter
6. Verify that a new "Settings.ini" file is created.
7. Launch Shutter
8. Confirm that your settings have been loaded correctly.

Also, please post the content of "Storage.ini" file located in the installation directory.

#5 2020-04-08 13:58

agi62

den4b wrote:

Please navigate to the following path:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\den4b\Shutter

You should be able to find "Settings.ini" file there and the "Presets" directory.

Also, please post the content of "Storage.ini" file located in the installation directory.

Hello,

den4b folder does not exist in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\

the content of storage.ini is:

#USER#

#6 2020-04-08 16:15

den4b
Administrator

agi62 wrote:

den4b folder does not exist in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\

the content of storage.ini is: #USER#

Check the permissions on the "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" folder. Your user should have Full Control. If possible, please post a screenshot of permissions.

Also, try creating the "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\den4b\Shutter" folder structure manually, under the current user.

I presume you are running Shutter under the privileges of your current user, rather than someone else?

#7 2020-04-08 18:58

agi62

Hello,
I'm sorry but I made a mistake, I forgot that the "documents" folder is on the E:\  disk  (not C:\) and I found the den4b\shutter folder, inside there is the "presets" folder and the "settings.ini" file.
The "documents" folder has all the permissions.
I have only one user, no password to log in to Windows.
The "settings.ini" file and the file inside the "presets" folder ([default].spr) are updated when I close Shutter but it doesn't save anything, when I reopen shutter, there is nothing.
the content of storage.ini is: #USER#

#8 2020-04-08 19:44

den4b
Administrator

Try the steps listed in an earlier post.

The only other thing I can think of is that your redirect of the documents folder is messing things up somehow, but on the OS level, not in Shutter.

If everything else fails, there is an easy alternative - use the portable version, where all settings and presets are stored in the same folder as the executable file.

#9 2020-04-08 21:46

agi62

Hello,
I performed the steps you told me but nothing has changed so I used the portable version and now it works perfectly :-)
As you say, maybe there are problems with permissions, Windows is sometimes a little crazy :-)
Thank you very much for helping :-)

Board footer