#1 2020-12-03 01:39

loungebob

Dark Mode

I cant believe this hasn't been brought up yet - or did I just miss it? - but my eyes go blind every time I send files from my completely dark explorer to renamer when that horrible white interface appears ;-)

Any dark mode plans?

#2 2020-12-03 07:43

den4b
Administrator

Re: Dark Mode

ReNamer uses the system theme colors for drawing its interface, so all you need to do is change your theme to a dark one. Additionally, Windows comes with a built-in high contrast mode which is like a dark theme.

For example, a quick Internet search has revealed GreyEveTheme theme. Below is a demo of how that looks in ReNamer.

mini_ReNamer-GreyEveTheme-MainWindow.pngmini_ReNamer-GreyEveTheme-RulesWindow.png

#3 2020-12-05 03:13

loungebob

Systemwide dark mode is on. Explorer is dark as the night. So are all Windows Apps. Downloaded ReNamer 7.2. Still bright as the sun. What am I doing wrong.
High contrast mode is useless as a dark mode. Especially in web browsers. And it never looks pretty.

#4 2020-12-08 11:07

den4b
Administrator

loungebob wrote:

System wide dark mode is on.

I presume you are referring to the "Dark Mode" in Windows 10. Unfortunately, it is not as "system wide" as you might think. This dark mode only affects the UWP apps, not the normal desktop apps (99% of all apps out there).

In order to apply different color schema to all apps, including normal desktop apps, you need to change your system theme. For example, try the GreyEveTheme, and then you can explore a universe of such themes.

Developing a custom theming capability in each app is a total nightmare for common developers and is simply not worth the time and effort, especially when system theming does the job already.

#5 2021-11-04 06:10

loungebob

Out of the 30 apps I use RN is now the only one not having a dark mode/theme. And it literally gives me headaches. I understand the resources/small developer argument but I really, really, really wish for a dark mode. The themes based on HC are useless.

https://www.den4b.com/forum/img/members … D6AF7.jpeg

#6 2021-11-04 11:55

loungebob

Oh, and as a feature request, but if this is just a me thing, ignore it:

wouldn't it be nice to have a quick replace function without going through adding a rule? you know search/replace kinda thing. Maybe just above the grey files/columns/options...bar in-between the files and the rules.

I often find myself having to add another rule just to do some quick last finish replacements that were not caught by all the rules.

#7 2021-11-04 11:56

loungebob

Oh, that probably should go to a separate thread.

#8 2021-11-04 11:58

loungebob

And if it helps, Florian of mp3tag had to be nagged a long time until he finally cave in and just released a dark mode mp3tag. It was not easy and apparently took quite a bit of effort. But I suspect it all depends on what and how the app is built.

Board footer