#1 2007-10-28 23:37

crowdofone

Right-click context menu for files and folders

Hi.

Really appreciate Renamer as it's such a handy program but one thing that bugs me is that it would be nice to be able to quickly choose to rename either just files or directories.

Currently the only method I'm aware of to change between files and directories is to open Renamer and select the appropriate option.

At it's most basic level i was thinking there could be two options on the right-click context menu:

Add Files to Renamer
+
Add Directories to Renamer   (... could be named 'folders' instead for consistency with the rest of the app however I think 'directories' gets the point across better.)

One small caveat however is that some people (not me particularly but others) might care about having too many entries in their right-click menu. Therefore I would suggest using a cascading context menu like the ones that many zip programs (winzip etc.) use. By having a cascading menu there is also the opportunity to have lots of different options.

By default I would imagine the following would be useful:

Add Files to Renamer
Add Directories to Renamer
Add Files to Renamer (inc. sub-dirs)
Add Directories to Renamer (inc. sub-dirs)

In addition to options for just files and directories it also opens up the possibility of a user being able to add custom rules that are quickly accessible.

For instance I could create a rule that with just a right click that would allow me to rename files with "&" to "and"

I think such an option could definitely increase usability so I hope you're consider it.

Also..

One last suggestion is that sometimes i still end up looking in the "All Settings" option to change filter options as "Filters" just doesn't seem to register. I think "Filters" may be too ambiguous, perhaps calling it something along the lines of "File/Directory filter" instead would be more accurate. Another way of getting around this would be to just add the Filters configuration into the settings area rather than for it to have it's own dialog.

Anyway improvements or not it's still a great tool .. many thanks!

#2 2007-11-03 23:01

den4b
Administrator

Re: Right-click context menu for files and folders

Creating more options in the files/folders context menu will require putting them into a cascaded menu, and in order to create a cascade menu - a separate DLL will have to be created which will handle this. This can cause a hit on the portability of the application, and will require big amount of work and research for the implementation. It might not be feasible...

Instead, you can create several copies of ReNamer.exe, and call them different names, and each of them will use the INI file according to its name, but they will still all have access to the same presets. You can configure each copy to use different configurations and filters. After you've done that, you can add "Send To" link for each of these versions (via Misc tab in the Settings, or manually).

There is also an idea of saving filter settings with presets, which has been discussed here Switching between files/folder mode.

#3 2007-11-16 14:06

crowdofone

Re: Right-click context menu for files and folders

Many thanks for your suggestions! Will try out the multiple exe's solution.

And hope you'll consider enhancing right-click functionality - It would totally revolutionize ReNamer into a new tool that could be used without even entering the interface  - I doubt you'd look back after wink

Board footer