#1 2007-12-03 21:24

dunnomuch

Delete certain parts in filename

Fist, I got to tell you den4b that your program is a real savior... I really appreciate your effort on this neat prog.

I just have 3 quick questions to create a set of rule for a lot of files I have, I hope you can help me with this.

Question: if I want to delete a part of a file without affecting the rest of the letters, what's the way?
Ex: I have a file like: 307-the_temptations--treat_her_like_a_lady_(12_mix)-hmbs
what's the process to:
1) Delete "307-" (at the beginning)
2) Delete "-mbs" (at the end of it) without affecting the "m" and "s" letters in "temptations"
3) Change the double dash "--" between "temptations" and "treat" to just " - "?

I tried with the strip rule but once I do it, I end up with: te_teptationstreat_er_like_a_lady_(12_mix);
I'm hoping that after I apply all the other rules like CleanUp, Case, etc... I end up with: The Temptations - Treat Her Like A Lady

I sincerely appreciate your work on this program.

Regards,

Ron.

#2 2007-12-04 08:27

Stefan

Re: Delete certain parts in filename

dunnomuch wrote:

Question: if I want to delete a part of a file without affecting the rest of the letters, what's the way?
Ex: I have a file like: 307-the_temptations--treat_her_like_a_lady_(12_mix)-hmbs

what's the process to:
1) Delete "307-" (at the beginning)
2) Delete "-mbs" (at the end of it) without affecting the "m" and "s" letters in "temptations"
3) Change the double dash "--" between "temptations" and "treat" to just " - "?

Hi dunnomuch, welcome.

An first simple solution would be:
1.) Add Rule DELETE:     from Position 1 with Count 4
2.) Add Rule DELETE:     from Position 1 with Count 5 . Tick "right-to-left" check box to delete from the end
3.) Add Rule REPLACE:   Find --      Replace -

to get
      the_temptations-treat_her_like_a_lady_(12_mix)
from
307-the_temptations--treat_her_like_a_lady_(12_mix)-hmbs

Hope this helps, if you have any question... please ask again.

Stefan

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2007-12-05 22:57

dunnomuch

Thanks a bunch for the speedy answer, it works.

I only have one more question.
When I finish to apply a set of rules to a batch of files, sometimes there are little remaining mistakes here and there which I can fix manually on a file to file basis. I'm under the impression that if I want to fix one specific file I can just click that file and it brings the "Analyze" window; though, I'm not sure how to apply a set of rules or just fix/delete a few letters in that file in the "Analyze" window. I actually delete stuff and click the "Apply Rules" in the bottom but nothing changes. Is it some specific way I have to write the rules inside the "Analyze" window, or that's not its purpose?

Once again, thanks alot.

Last edited by dunnomuch (2007-12-05 23:26)

#4 2007-12-05 23:10

Stefan

Sorry quick answer only... have to go.

>"Analyze" window.

With "Analyze" window you can do two things:
1) with "Apply Rules" you will see what the rules would do with the file name (you can f.ex. disable one rule to "Analyze" what this would give you)
2) you can select an part of an file name to see the amount of selected chars and/or the position within the file name you want to get (e.g. for delete rule)

What do you want to do? (i will look tomorrow into here)

If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2007-12-06 06:19

dunnomuch

Alright Stefan,

I think what I wanted is not in the program (yet); it's some sort of "select", "deselect", "select all/deselect all" from a right click context. In my case, I realize by dropping 300 files in the program but need to apply a different set of rules to let's say 20 out the 300 then I gotta manually deselect 280 files since the program check all files by default once they're load up. With a "select/deselect/delete" function, it could be easier to navigate and choose sepecific files from the interface to apply different set of rules in one project by highlighting them instead of having to load the files over and over.
If that can be implemented in a future update then that'll be great.

Thanks for everything.

Ron.

Last edited by dunnomuch (2007-12-06 06:27)

#6 2007-12-06 08:06

Stefan

> I think what I wanted is not in the program (yet);
>  it's some sort of "select", "deselect", "select all/deselect all" from a right click context.

Right click context menu >>> "Marking"
Right click context menu >>> "Selecting"

-----------------------------------

> let's say 20 out the 300
>then I gotta manually deselect 280 files since the program check all files by default

1. Ctrl+A      to select ALL
2. Shift+U    (or Right click context menu >>> "Marking" >> "UnMark")
3. Now select your 20 files

Note: you can click on the header of the column to sort
Note: try  "Marking" >> "Mark by Mask"

Ahh, i hope you use v5.10???

by
Stefan

#7 2007-12-06 09:47

dunnomuch

Stefan you are the man...

I wasn't getting that "right click" menu at all. So, I did the obvious of uninstalling and reinstalling the program...now, I have the right click. I guess it's a little bug on my Vista machine, I'm not sure but I'll keep monitoring.

Wow, I'm in business now... :-).

Man, your support is amazing; I'll definitely support your project as it grows.

Thanks.

#8 2007-12-07 13:44

den4b
Administrator

I couldn't be helpful on time, too busy... So once again, thanks to Stefan for his quick answers big_smile 

Dunnomuch, these projects are actually mine, and Stefan is one of the users who are kindly helping me out with the forums.

Board footer