#1 2007-12-29 00:13

bobyang

blue screen through network in vista

I have 3 compters, A, B, C because I often update the rule, so I save renamer in the computer A. and computer B and C access renamer.exe through network \\A\c\renamer.exe

everything works well until I formated my computer C and install Vista. Now, I cannot run \\A\c\renamer.exe because I will get a blue screen and reboot is the only way. However, if I move renamer to the local machine, it works very well. I just wonder if anyone has faced the same problem in Vista? and anyway to fix it, I really like to keep all rules in one machine?

thank you!

#2 2007-12-29 00:54

Stefan

Re: blue screen through network in vista

Huh, an heavy question for an renamer forum big_smile

There are so many details you not have provided:
what OS on pc 'B' and 'C' ?,
what applications are running,
which are you settings? (network, accounts, NTFS-rights)
do you have an account on pc 'A' with an password set which you use from pc 'B' and 'C'?
UAC?
e.t.c. pp

But an blue screen should never appear,   -no access to 'A', yes,-   but no blue screen.
Maybe you should check the permissions on A\c folder.

Maybe you should ask this on an forum which is more related to such questions? (and tell us the answer later if others have the same issue tongue)

Good luck

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2007-12-29 01:02

bobyang

sorry about forget the detail infomation.

A is win 2003 server
B is XP
C is Vista now

no applications running when I get BSOD in vista. (C is in Vista now but it works very well when C had XP before.)

I use the same account for all computers and have all the access right as administrators for network, NTFS..

thank you!

#4 2007-12-31 20:35

dloneranger

The BSOD should have some info eg a STOP number and a <something>.dll
They should help find the problem

BSOD's are nearly always down to hardware drivers
(or malware)
As the network looks like the problem, check to see if there's newer drivers

#5 2007-12-31 21:59

bobyang

dloneranger wrote:

The BSOD should have some info eg a STOP number and a <something>.dll
They should help find the problem

BSOD's are nearly always down to hardware drivers
(or malware)
As the network looks like the problem, check to see if there's newer drivers

acutally, no new driver because I didn't add anything new. The strange thing is that, it only happens when I try to run renamer.exe through a network drive but if I run renamer.exe in the local machine will be fine. and then I try to run other exe and they are good too.

That's a really good point, I should disable auto reboot and check the message! thank you!

happy new year!

#6 2008-01-07 18:07

den4b
Administrator

All this is very strange, but 1 thing for sure: "Blue screen should never appear", as Stefan already said. Blue screen appears when something goes really-really wrong, on low level (usually drivers/hardware). ReNamer doesn't do any direct hardware/driver interaction, it only calls basic Windows API functions.

Any progress with this issue on your side?

#7 2008-01-07 21:52

bobyang

thanks. no, I am still trying to find the issue what makes it happen. another machine's motherboard dies so I tried to fix that one instead of this. once I get the motherboard for that machine and setup everything, I will continue to troubleshoot it and post here if I can find any.
thanks!

#8 2008-05-31 12:25

bobyang

bobyang wrote:

thanks. no, I am still trying to find the issue what makes it happen. another machine's motherboard dies so I tried to fix that one instead of this. once I get the motherboard for that machine and setup everything, I will continue to troubleshoot it and post here if I can find any.
thanks!

I may find the source but I am not sure yet.
I use all the different antivirus/firewall software.. in the firewall setting, I always allow everything for my internal IPs.

ok... one day, I found 'renamer" works through network with one Vista! I was surprise! then I try to compare the differentce. I think the working one I use Avira antivirus premium version, and the crash ones I use "symantech endpoint protection". this is the main difference I found I am not sure if norton causes the problems...

#9 2008-05-31 12:37

bobyang

ok. result after testing

symantec endpoint has 3 componets.

1. turn all off, it works with calling \\pc2\c\renamer.exe!
2. keep all off, but turn Antivirus and antispyware protection on it still work
3. now, turn "network threat protection" on, it works!

so , onlything left, "proactive threat protect"... I haven't tried to turn it on and run a test yet. I will do it when I get free time and save all my data ahead.

thanks!

#10 2008-06-02 06:57

Andrew

Sounds like Norton being a bloated PITA again! roll My advice? Ditch it and get something that will provide better protection (i.e. less false positives) with a tenth of the resource usage.

Board footer