#1 2018-11-12 19:26

vulture_g7

"Planner failed to start: Invalid Query" when monitoring HD Usage (#2)

Hello!

I have the same problem as in another topic "Planner failed to start: Invalid Query" when monitoring HD Usage.

So, I too get the very same error from shutter, for the same reason (WMI, invalid query) and the same error number. Sadly, the command which fixed the other user's problem didn't do it for me neither did the other commands I've tried to rebuild/reregister my WMI repository.

So, after following the instructions, here's what the mof says:

instance of __ExtendedStatus
{
    Operation = "ExecQuery";
    ParameterInfo = "SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfRawData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk WHERE Name = \"_Total\"";
    ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
};

Thx in advance!

PS
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit

Last edited by den4b (2018-11-13 06:57)

#2 2018-11-13 07:09

den4b
Administrator

Re: "Planner failed to start: Invalid Query" when monitoring HD Usage (#2)

Hello.

Which version of Shutter are you using? Have you tried latest stable v4.3, and, more importantly, the latest development version?

Which specific commands have you tried so far? For example, have you tried executing "wmiadap.exe /f" command? Please provide more details, exact error codes, messages, etc.

Your exact kind of issue can't be reproduced locally, so you would need to tinker and experiment on your installation to get me clues.

P.S. I have split away your post into a separate topic, to keep things tidy.

#3 2018-11-24 10:00

vulture_g7

Sorry for the late response!
Tried both the latest stable and development version.
The error I get from shutter when disk monitoring is enabled is:

ERROR
Planner has failed to start due to a critical problem:
Invalid query

Then I followed these instructions:

1) Click Start (Windows key), click Run, type wbemtest, and then click OK.
2) In Windows Management Instrumentation Tester dialog box, click Connect.
3) Type "root\cimv2" in Namespace field and click Connect.
4) Click Query and type:
    SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfRawData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk WHERE Name = "_Total"
5) Click Apply.
6) In Query Result window double click on the the first row.
7) Click Show MOF, select all text in the window and copy via right click context menu.

and I got this error:

ERROR
Number: 0x80041017
Facility: WMI
Description: Invalid query

Opening the mof after that, I got this message:

instance of __ExtendedStatus
{
    Operation = "ExecQuery";
    ParameterInfo = "SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfRawData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk WHERE Name = \"_Total\"";
    ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
};

I've tried executing "wmiadap.exe /f" , but the problem remains exactly the same

Thx!

Last edited by vulture_g7 (2018-11-24 10:44)

#4 2018-11-24 23:40

den4b
Administrator

Unfortunately, there isn't much more we can do here.

WMI features in your installation appear to be malfunctioning. This can be caused by a wide range of issues, like interference from 3rd party applications, file corruption, etc.

I think you have two options:
1) Continue searching the internet for potential fixes and keep trying to restore the normal operation of WMI service.
2) Contact Microsoft technical support and ask why your performance counters are broken. You can start by referencing the problematic WMI query and the error code.

There is another article in Microsoft's knowledge base, which describes how to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values, but this gets very technical and risky, so proceed with extreme caution:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … ary-values

Also, it might be worthwhile trying to eliminate potentially interfering applications, for example, by rebooting into Safe Mode, and then trying to execute that WMI query.

#5 2018-11-25 12:11

vulture_g7

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them and I'll report back if I manage to fix it, in case someone else faces the same problem as I do.

#6 2018-12-02 11:32

vulture_g7

Ok, so, I simply followed (only) these steps and the problem was fixed (normal mode, no safe mode required):

Expand the Perfc009.dat file and the Perfh009.dat file. These files are located on the Windows Installation Disc. The compressed files are found at DriveLetter:\i386\perfc009.da_ and at DriveLetter:\i386\perfh009.da_. Replace the files that are in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder.

Start Registry Editor, and then locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
In the registry, change the Last Counter value to 1846 (decimal), and change the Last Help value to 1847 (decimal).

Note: Windows Vista and upwards have no i386 dir in the setup disk, you may find all files inside \sources\install.wim, which can be expanded with 7-zip (for example). Then, all files are residing in their paths (i.e. \Windows\system32).

Thx for the help! smile

Last edited by vulture_g7 (2018-12-02 11:33)

#7 2018-12-03 22:28

den4b
Administrator

That's excellent news!

Thanks for reporting back here. I am sure it will help other users in the same situation.

Board footer