#1 2021-07-21 05:52

dbareis

No Event for Checking that the CURRENT User is the One Running App?

If "user1" is running Shutter and switches to "user2", how do I prevent shutter from activating while in "user2"?

I expect shutter to pause its behavior and reset when "user1" is again selected...

#2 2021-07-26 05:38

den4b
Administrator

Re: No Event for Checking that the CURRENT User is the One Running App?

If "user1" is running Shutter and switches to "user2", how do I prevent shutter from activating while in "user2"?

I expect shutter to pause its behavior and reset when "user1" is again selected...

You can't, at least not with the current versions of Shutter.

User sessions run in parallel and in isolation from each other, in the user space. If you switch users from user A to user B, the apps that user A is running will not be killed or paused, they will continue to run in the background. That is a standard behavior in all multi-user operation systems.

It is possible to implement a feature in Shutter that will pause itself if the user session is switched to a different user, but there is currently no plan to implement such feature.

#3 2021-07-26 06:18

dbareis

den4b wrote:

It is possible to implement a feature in Shutter that will pause itself if the user session is switched to a different user, but there is currently no plan to implement such feature.

Thanks for the response, I will look at alternative products to see if they handle this correctly.

#4 2021-12-30 22:23

elon_gates

Is there no workaround for this?
I'm using hibernate with User Inactive detection and this issue makes Shutter unusable - whenever user1 hibernates system and user2 wakes it and logs in, Shutter hibernates after predefined time every time, with no way to stop it.

dbareis did you find an alternative?

#5 2021-12-31 14:31

den4b
Administrator

elon_gates wrote:

Is there no workaround for this?

The workaround is to stop Shutter before switching to a different user.

elon_gates wrote:

I'm using hibernate with User Inactive detection and this issue makes Shutter unusable - whenever user1 hibernates system and user2 wakes it and logs in, Shutter hibernates after predefined time every time, with no way to stop it.

That is a proper showstopper.

The Fast User Switching feature does offer an API to detect a user switch, in a form of WM_WTSSESSION_CHANGE message. We'll see about implementing an option to automatically stop Shutter when a user switch occurs, with an option to restart it when the user switches back, similar to the exiting options for handling hibernation/sleep.

Board footer