#1 2021-12-02 01:16

pilotbum

Reboot does not restart the apps

I just installed Shutter on my PC in order to set up remote restart functionality. If I restart the PC manually (not using Shutter) it will fully restart and all background processes and applications that run as processes will start in the restart process whether or not I log into the computer. If I restart the computer remotely using Shutter NONE of the background processes and apps will start until I physically log into the computer.

My reason for wanting this functionality is so I can remotely restart the computer AND it's processes as if I am physically there. For whatever reason when rebooting using the Shutter application it will not do a full reboot. Is this a setting somewhere I can adjust or does the functionality I am after not exist?

#2 2021-12-07 23:09

den4b
Administrator

Re: Reboot does not restart the apps

Shutter's shutdown procedure does not yet support the "restart apps" feature. This will be addressed in one of the upcoming releases.

More context, for the reference:

Shutter performs the system shutdown procedure according to the official documentation provided by Microsoft. At this moment, there are at least 5 different API functions for initiating the system shutdown, introduced at different points in time and each serving some slightly different purpose. The ability to restart some of the apps on reboot is relatively new and requires apps to register for a restart.

#3 2021-12-08 22:01

pilotbum

Thanks for the reply. I just assumed that on a restart those programs in the Windows Startup menu would automatically start with a reboot of Windows.

#4 2021-12-09 13:08

den4b
Administrator

pilotbum wrote:

I just assumed that on a restart those programs in the Windows Startup menu would automatically start with a reboot of Windows.

Applications listed in the Startup folder or the Startup menu are launched when you log in. This was the case since the early days of Windows. This is outside of the scope of Shutter.

Separately from that, the newer "Restart apps" feature, found in Windows 10 under Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Restart apps, instructs the currently running apps (if they support this feature) to save their work and then they will get restarted automatically by Windows.

Very soon, Shutter will have a new option to enable/disable the "Restart apps" feature as part of the Reboot action.

#5 2022-05-02 12:21

den4b
Administrator

This feature has been implemented in Shutter 4.5.0.1 Beta.

Board footer